• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can my beardie eat lizards?

lshotbambi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in south Florida where lizards are EVERYWHERE! I'll walk up to my door and at most times, see at least 5 or 6 scurry away from the walkway. Since the weather here is warm everyday, I want to let my bearded dragon roam the area of my driveway a bit to get natural sunlight, but what happens if she catches and eats another lizard? is it bad for them?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
my biggist concern would be parasites and possibility of bites and infections. i take mine outside in the large sterilite tubs. they are almost 40 gallon size.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can eat them??? Yes. Should eat them???? NO!!!! parasites and digestive issues abound when feeding a reptile a wild caught reptile. Keep in mind a dragon will eat almost anything that fits in their mouth, and even things that wont.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What do you think did you think should he? or did you think could i feed it to him? hmm... no and no it's one of the worst things you could ever do. first check the area for lizards and shoo them away or figure out a way to perch him on your shoulder so he doesn't eat anything at all like bugs, plants, pebbles, or lizards, but also keep in mind if you take him outside at all there are birds, cats, and other predators, he could even stray away so get him a harness or something. oh and sorry if i gave too much info. but it never hurts to know more right?

lshotbambi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nah, theres no such thing as too much info on a forum. I appreciate the opinions. She will stay on my shoulder outside. I was just trying to give her a little freedom because I have 2 cats so she doesn't get to roam the house. The least I can do is let her on the patio where a lizard MIGHT be but easier to spot lizards. Thanks

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try 2 get your dragon as much outside time possible, just keep an eye on it at all times. Ingesting bugs & other critters from outside can be risky with parasites & pesticides.

lisa foster

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would not recommend feeding anything to your dragons that you find outside way to risky with parasites bacteria etc.. There are so many safe alternatives that beardies love no reason to feed them lizards.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It says in my "beardie bible" that they CAN, and that they "relish" them. But I personally, and strongly advise against it. For one, of course, being the parasites and other contaminates that the "ala carte lizard" may possess. But also, I was told that once they get a "taste of blood" (lizard, mouse, rats that are ALIVE when given), that it can make the dragon MORE PRONE to biting YOU.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It says in my "beardie bible" that they CAN, and that they "relish" them. But I personally, and strongly advise against it. For one, of course, being the parasites and other contaminates that the "ala carte lizard" may possess. But also, I was told that once they get a "taste of blood" (lizard, mouse, rats that are ALIVE when given), that it can make the dragon MORE PRONE to biting YOU.
my parents said the same thing said he will get all mean and blablabla i guess i'll have to go with flowers :(

Latest posts