• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I give my beardie a laxitive?

BeardiesandBaseball

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. My dragon has not pooped in a while, and I was wondering if it was okay if I gave her a common laxitive you could buy at a pharmacy, which type I should use, and what dosage. Thanks!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How long has it been, what do you feed it? what is your temps?
You can give them pure pumpkin just make sure it's pure.. you can also give a tiny bit of olive oil, you can increase the temp of bath water...

C Whittaker

Bearded Dragon Egg
My little guy pooped Monday for the first time in 4 days and he usually goes every morning like clockwork. Coincidentally, he's shedding at the moment so we gave him a bath Monday morning as we do when he's struggling with his shed and within 10 mins of being in a nice warm bath he pooped lots right there in the bath! So maybe try that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Please do not give your beardie a laxative meant for humans. 100% pure pumpkin or baby food prunes with nothing added to them will help. How long has it been? Just like us, they don't always poop everyday. As they grow their habits change too. Babies are eating all the time so they poop all the time. Adults don't eat as much so don't poop as much. It is common for them to go a week or so without going and it's perfectly fine. If it's been over 2 weeks then you can start worrying.

BeardiesandBaseball

Hatchling Dragon
Please do not give your beardie a laxative meant for humans. 100% pure pumpkin or baby food prunes with nothing added to them will help. How long has it been? Just like us, they don't always poop everyday. As they grow their habits change too. Babies are eating all the time so they poop all the time. Adults don't eat as much so don't poop as much. It is common for them to go a week or so without going and it's perfectly fine. If it's been over 2 weeks then you can start worrying.
Yeah. Please don't freak out when out when I say this, but she hasn't pooped since june. Our vet gave us a lactulose and we have been giving it to her for a week and a half. She seems like she is acting normal, and she is eating normal too. I just wonder where all that food is going!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. Please don't freak out when out when I say this, but she hasn't pooped since june. Our vet gave us a lactulose and we have been giving it to her for a week and a half. She seems like she is acting normal, and she is eating normal too. I just wonder where all that food is going!
What?? not since June??? That isn't good, if she is eating regularly she should be pooping...what do you feed? how often? do you weigh her to see how her weight is doing? If she's not pooping and hasn't pooped since June she needs to be seen for impaction as it may be too hard for her to pass it now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They need to take an X-ray to check for an obstruction. What kind of substrate has she been on?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
she got an x-ray from the vet in late july. We have been using the repticarpet and I soak her every day in lukewarm water for 20 minutes.
But even if it was in July that she got a xray that's still 2 months of not pooping yet she still is eating something is wrong..This is not normal.
Lets get some background:
What are her temps?
What UVB and basking bulbs do you use?
What foods are you feeding and quantity?
How often do you bathe her?
The vet that she see's are they a reptile vet? and are they familiar to dragons?
Is she acting normal? running around, basking...
Plain and simple she's eating she needs to be pooping!! If she is not pooping then they need to figure out why... If she is blocked/constipated she will die a slow death.. sorry but it is what it is, and it's your job to push the issue to find out why she's not pooping.

BeardiesandBaseball

Hatchling Dragon
But even if it was in July that she got a xray that's still 2 months of not pooping yet she still is eating something is wrong..This is not normal.
Lets get some background:
What are her temps?
What UVB and basking bulbs do you use?
What foods are you feeding and quantity?
How often do you bathe her?
The vet that she see's are they a reptile vet? and are they familiar to dragons?
Is she acting normal? running around, basking...
Plain and simple she's eating she needs to be pooping!! If she is not pooping then they need to figure out why... If she is blocked/constipated she will die a slow death.. sorry but it is what it is, and it's your job to push the issue to find out why she's not pooping.
Actually, she pooped today! Hooray! Thanks for your tip about the pumpkin! :):bd:

Latest posts