• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I get your opinion on my BD's eyes?

bananarama

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello!

So I have noticed that my beardie only eats when I tong or hand feed her. She will only take the food once it touches her lips. And sometimes, she even misses.

IMG_20230417_211510_252.jpg
IMG_20230417_211509_947.jpg
Is it because shes too spoiled or is there something wrong with her eyes?

You opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello!

So I have noticed that my beardie only eats when I tong or hand feed her. She will only take the food once it touches her lips. And sometimes, she even misses.

View attachment 33728View attachment 33729Is it because shes too spoiled or is there something wrong with her eyes?

You opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
It is hard to say --- how long has she been doing this? What kind of UVB are you using coil or a long tube fixture and brand and bulb of the basking bulb please? If she is missing the food its possible she has eye sight problems- are you using any colored bulbs in the tank and has there ever been any colored bulbs in the tank? I just recently found out that one of my dragons has a cataract on his right eye and the lens on the left eye is abnormal - so my guy cant see very good either - this has been w/ in the last year he will be 4 in July- he is missing his food and wont eat out of the salad plate as of now - I am treating him for pin worms at the moment so I dont know if its the fact he cant see / pin worms that hes not eating now or just the pin worms causing the no appetite -- I would recommend taking her into a good reptile vet www.arav.org if your in a small town/ area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you -- right now there is an unknown for treatment for the eyes - my vet has contacted a ophthalmologist in St Paul that sees rabbits - she doesnt know if he will see reptiles - if he does I am actually not expecting any treatment and am skeptical about getting anything done -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech on here and have her take a look --
@Drache613

bananarama

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is hard to say --- how long has she been doing this? What kind of UVB are you using coil or a long tube fixture and brand and bulb of the basking bulb please? If she is missing the food its possible she has eye sight problems- are you using any colored bulbs in the tank and has there ever been any colored bulbs in the tank? I just recently found out that one of my dragons has a cataract on his right eye and the lens on the left eye is abnormal - so my guy cant see very good either - this has been w/ in the last year he will be 4 in July- he is missing his food and wont eat out of the salad plate as of now - I am treating him for pin worms at the moment so I dont know if its the fact he cant see / pin worms that hes not eating now or just the pin worms causing the no appetite -- I would recommend taking her into a good reptile vet www.arav.org if your in a small town/ area type in a bigger cities zip code closest to you -- right now there is an unknown for treatment for the eyes - my vet has contacted a ophthalmologist in St Paul that sees rabbits - she doesnt know if he will see reptiles - if he does I am actually not expecting any treatment and am skeptical about getting anything done -- I am going to flag your post to Tracie our vet tech on here and have her take a look --
@Drache613
Thank you for your response, Sadie.

Hmm. She's been doing this about a year now. I didnt have a problem with it back then since I worked from home. But now that I have to report to work, Im worried she might not be eating well.

Im currently using Solar Glo Mercury Bulb 100w for her uva/uvb and heat bulb. Could that be the issue? Or is she really too spoiled?

There is no colored bulbs in her enclosure too. Just the mercury bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response, Sadie.

Hmm. She's been doing this about a year now. I didnt have a problem with it back then since I worked from home. But now that I have to report to work, Im worried she might not be eating well.

Im currently using Solar Glo Mercury Bulb 100w for her uva/uvb and heat bulb. Could that be the issue? Or is she really too spoiled?

There is no colored bulbs in her enclosure too. Just the mercury bulb.
Please get a back up uvb- the mvb do not put out enough uvb- I am going to post 3 uvb's we recommend - you want a 24" fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-t5 sold out try this website
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs or this it can be found at PetSmart https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse you want the 24 watt 12% bulb or this one you will need to change the uvb bulb out to the one posted above https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html you want the 2 ft fixture - please tell me when you get it the screen will determine where it is placed and distanced
Please get rid of the mvb- get a regular basking bulb solid clear bright white bulb like flukers basking bulb or exo Terra intense or a Arcadia halogen-- I am wondering if that mvb has created issues- I have had people w/ that bulb having eye issues w/ their dragons -

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tracie is going to look at your post tonite ---- how is the dragon doing?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

As Sadie was requesting, while I love the Exoterra Solar Glo MVB light, because it is nice & bright, it has a
low to moderate UVB output. I don't think this is the entire problem but could contribute to health issues.
Adding in a nice T5 tube UVB from one of the above mentioned light brands, to use in combination with the
Solar Glo MVB would be helpful. So go ahead & keep the Solar Glo but just add the tube bulb. Also, it
just might not be bright enough in her tank, not sure but adding the tube bulb will help greatly.
I noticed that on her right side, the lip/mouth area look a bit off, has she injured her mouth somehow? It
looks like it might have some infection starting there. You could get some raw, unpasteurized honey to
put on that area. It is safe if ingested, also. That could be one reason she doesn't have a very good
aim, her mouth might hurt.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

bananarama

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tracie is going to look at your post tonite ---- how is the dragon doing?
Hi Sadie,

Thanks for the suggestions. Im gonna check those bulbs. My beardie is doing well, but I still hand/tong feed her a bit before and after my work.

Hello,

As Sadie was requesting, while I love the Exoterra Solar Glo MVB light, because it is nice & bright, it has a
low to moderate UVB output. I don't think this is the entire problem but could contribute to health issues.
Adding in a nice T5 tube UVB from one of the above mentioned light brands, to use in combination with the
Solar Glo MVB would be helpful. So go ahead & keep the Solar Glo but just add the tube bulb. Also, it
just might not be bright enough in her tank, not sure but adding the tube bulb will help greatly.
I noticed that on her right side, the lip/mouth area look a bit off, has she injured her mouth somehow? It
looks like it might have some infection starting there. You could get some raw, unpasteurized honey to
put on that area. It is safe if ingested, also. That could be one reason she doesn't have a very good
aim, her mouth might hurt.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

Thank you so much for taking a look. I will take your advice and see how she does. As to her right lip, she has some molt on her lower lip which made her upper lip look dark and bit off. Here is a different angle of her right side.

20230419_235640.jpg

Latest posts