• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can constipation cause bleeding?

kaatie46

Bearded Dragon Egg
* i do have a vet app monday, will ask about it then

i took my girl to the vet last monday, due to her breathing with her mouth open occasionally (not while basking) , they did an x-ray and her lungs looked fine but noticed she had a lot of food still in her GI tract that they said might be pushing up towards her lungs which could cause difficulty breathing. but the day she got home from the vet, she had some blood AFTER her poop (not a lot, just a couple drops) , which appeared to me like it was coming from her vent.

they prescribed her with some laxatives, and i haven’t noticed any bleeding since her stools have become more regular.

could the bleeding be from constipation? we got a parasite test not too long ago and it came back clear but i’m not opposed to getting another one done just incase!

just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what was the result?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
* i do have a vet app monday, will ask about it then

i took my girl to the vet last monday, due to her breathing with her mouth open occasionally (not while basking) , they did an x-ray and her lungs looked fine but noticed she had a lot of food still in her GI tract that they said might be pushing up towards her lungs which could cause difficulty breathing. but the day she got home from the vet, she had some blood AFTER her poop (not a lot, just a couple drops) , which appeared to me like it was coming from her vent.

they prescribed her with some laxatives, and i haven’t noticed any bleeding since her stools have become more regular.

could the bleeding be from constipation? we got a parasite test not too long ago and it came back clear but i’m not opposed to getting another one done just incase!

just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what was the result?
Watch her poop again and see if you get more blood- did they do an enema on her? What are her surface basking temps and how are you getting them? No stick ons please-- those temps are what start digestion

kaatie46

Bearded Dragon Egg
Watch her poop again and see if you get more blood- did they do an enema on her? What are her surface basking temps and how are you getting them? No stick ons please-- those temps are what start digestion
surface basking is 101, measured with temp gun. and would an enema help that? she had a speck of blood again in her poop yesterday, but pooped today with no blood. is parasites the only answer to blood in stool?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
surface basking is 101, measured with temp gun. and would an enema help that? she had a speck of blood again in her poop yesterday, but pooped today with no blood. is parasites the only answer to blood in stool?
Enemas should NOT be given -- they are too risky and often go wrong - parasites can cause blood in stools- if it was a one time thing it shouldn't be concerning- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate IR guns are good but can give inaccurate surface basking temps because of the materials being used- hammocks are an example - is she on sand- impaction will cause blood in stools- what kind of uvb are you using? Coil or a long tube fixture--

kaatie46

Bearded Dragon Egg
Enemas should NOT be given -- they are too risky and often go wrong - parasites can cause blood in stools- if it was a one time thing it shouldn't be concerning- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate IR guns are good but can give inaccurate surface basking temps because of the materials being used- hammocks are an example - is she on sand- impaction will cause blood in stools- what kind of uvb are you using? Coil or a long tube fixture--
she’s on non adhesive shelf liner, and a long tube fixture, bulb was recently changed too

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
she’s on non adhesive shelf liner, and a long tube fixture, bulb was recently changed too
Ok where is the long tube fixture inside the tank or top of screen and please tell me the brand and the bulb is it a T 5 or a T 8?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
reptizoo t5 , on top of tank
So the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? I am going to recommend you get one of these bulbs- a Reptisun 10.0 t 5 or a Arcadia 12 bulb they are the best on the market at this time -- both made in Germany - the Reptizoo are China made you dont want that

Latest posts