• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can babies go into brumation?

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
Norbert spends most of the day sleeping in his hide over the last week or so. He really only wakes up and is alert during feedings and then goes back into his hide to sleep. I estimate him to be about 5-6 months old. I read that they normally do not go into brumation if they are under a year old, but is it still possible? I'm not too concerned about him. He's still eating a fair amount of food and pooping regularly. Just sleeps a lot more than he normally would.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brumation is highly unlikely at that age. I would be checking your temps & lighting schedule. Do you use a night light?

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
No, I don't normally use a night light. But it's been getting really cold in his room at night lately, so I have a zilla night black heat bulb right now until I can get into town to buy a ceramic heat emitter as we are currently snowed in. The bulb doesn't emit very much light, I can hardly notice it myself. But I'm sure he notices it more than I do.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yep....you need a CHE. My Spike went into brumation when he was about 10 months. He has been sleeping now for about 2 months. He woke up long enough to dig a hole and went right back to sleep. Weird....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When he finds his place to sleep at night, do you find him in the same spot & often in the same position in the morning, prior to lights on?

NorbertTheDragon

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, he usually finds his spot to sleep and stays there throughout the night. He has a specific corner of the viv that he likes to sleep in. He's been up and alert all day the last few days though, so I have no idea what that was all that sleeping was about.