• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a neglected Bearded dragon be loved back into being a good pet???

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I know someone who has had their dragon for about a year. He/she is very poorly taken care of. It does have a good enclosure with timered lighting, but he/she is never handled. He/she is fed mostly just pellets and occasionally a few crickets. It has stayed alive but I believe that is only by the bare minimum. His/her cage is dirty never cleaned....like ever!! And He/she is always in a dark basement. they almost seem to keep it as a stinky decoration. The whole basement just wreaks because of the dirty cage. It is so Sad. :( We love our dragon and are constantly amused by what a fun, gentle and happy pet we have so we find it to be disturbing that this animal is left to live that way. So here is my question. We are considering offering to buy their dragon from them to give it a better home and some love. especially because we want a second anyway. However I don't know if this animal can be loved into becoming a good pet. We have 2 little boys that love love love ours and would love to have another but I don't want a mean, unhappy, or possibly damaged biter. We would be willing to do some work with Him/her if it is possible at this age, considering that it has never been properly cared for. Really I don't know if they would even be willing to sell Him/her anyway but I don't even want to bring it up in conversation if this poor creature is un-fixable. So what do you all think?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it can but there is always that chance that it won’t be very friendly .Remember the dragons only see us as a food source they learn to trust us and not fear us so it can take time for one that has not been held to become relaxed and not see you as a threat

bouncer36

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
well i think it would be better off wit h you i feel so sad for it i just had mine for a week almost two it be two weeks this sunday and i could not give up or keep it that way

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
l would be a little concerned if your boys are going to be handeling it, but it sounds like those people definately shouldn't have it...

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My husband reached in and picked it up and everyone in the room gasped. They said he was the only one who hadn't gotten bitten by him. My brother in law reached in and was bitten before he even touched it. Maybe my husband has the right touch for this animal or perhaps My husband doesn't fear him/her and that's why it was peaceful in his hands. (really my husband is amazing with all animals, he should have bet a vet.)I don't know but I am going to offer to buy him/her. If they let me take it home I can buy a pair of leather gloves and try holding it everyday. If it never gets friendly at least he will be clean, fed well and have a life worth living. No animal deserves to live the way this one does. It is just sad. Maybe we will get lucky and it will love the affection and be awesome. Crossing my fingers that they let me buy it and that it can be tamed. Thanks for the advice.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't use gloves it will associate the gloves with picking it up then it will be harder to pick it up with no gloves just reach in and grab it don't hesitate

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, I can understand that I did think about that and thought it would be something I would have to break him of. I have never been bitten by an adult bearded dragon and I want to be prepared. How bad is it? Will he break the skin or just hurt a little. Is he likely to bite and pull or just nip and try to get away?

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i asked the same question on here and they said blue tounges can break your finger

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So does a blue tongue have a literal blue tongue? Mine has a pink tongue. I don't know about the one that we are speaking of. I did find out that it is a female. They said she laid eggs in her cage the other day. They don't know much about beardies because they said "isn't it cool that lizards don't need to have a male around to have babies". I explained that if she hasn't been with a male that they are duds. They are considering selling her to me. I should know soon.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yea they do have blue tounges but for some reason i think they look like salamanders :D

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So maybe I'm wrong but I have been doing a little looking around and it appears that a "blue Tongue" Is a different species and not a bearded dragon at all. So I am still needing to know what an adult bearded dragon bite is like. Can it take a child's finger off, break it or draw blood. My bearded dragon can't hurt us at all but he is only nine weeks old so that doesn't give me any indication of what the female in question can do. I really want to know if she could be dangerous to my children before I can decide to adopt this new pet.

Brianna

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
adults can rip off flesh and since they have bacteria it can lead to infection but if you treat it with peroxide and stuff itll go away eventually

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So maybe I'm wrong but I have been doing a little looking around and it appears that a "blue Tongue" Is a different species and not a bearded dragon at all. So I am still needing to know what an adult bearded dragon bite is like. Can it take a child's finger off, break it or draw blood. My bearded dragon can't hurt us at all but he is only nine weeks old so that doesn't give me any indication of what the female in question can do. I really want to know if she could be dangerous to my children before I can decide to adopt this new pet.

it can do some real damage but it is something you can teach your kids how to handle and respect what it can do in 1 year your dragon will be that size and no matter how friendly it is it can still bite I have had friendly dragons try to bite when startled

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've always been concerned about biting too. My guy is almost full grown. He is extremely friendly - he's been handled alot since he was very young. I often cuddle w/him nose to nose (he just stares at me like i'm crazy). I also often gently put my cheek against his face - he closes his eye for a second and sometimes I feel him pressing his face against mine while both of his eyes are closed - does this mean he like it? He's always a "happy" color when I'm doing this - never dark or w/his beard black.

My husband says he's going to bit me one day but I'm not sure. I think we've bonded but I guess you just never really know for sure. Is occasional biting common with really friendly dragons?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
remember as much as we would like them to they will never love you ,they don’t feel Threatened by you these are things that will eat there babies in a second if they can. no not common but there is always that chance

Natalie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you. The information was all helpful. They have said no that they are not willing to sell her. And unfortunately I have offended them in the process. I guess I should have realized that no one likes to be told hey aren't doing the best job even when you say it as delicately as I tried to.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. The information was all helpful. They have said no that they are not willing to sell her. And unfortunately I have offended them in the process. I guess I should have realized that no one likes to be told hey aren't doing the best job even when you say it as delicately as I tried to.

They will get over it and I bet they take better care of it now

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You tried 2 do a good thing, don't feel bad about it.

Latest posts