• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Calcium and D for females

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
I just brought Stella home a few days ago. She’s a 10mo old female. I want to make sure I understand the mineral and vitamin D requirements correctly as it seems to me females should have more calcium than males since they produce eggs. If this thought is correct how often do you give females calcium and D and how does this change when they reach 12 months or at what age does this change and what changes when they have just laid eggs?

Beardie Lover

Juvenile Dragon
I would just give her a pinch every day. Dust her bugs and salad. My female bearded dragon is almost three and still hasn’t laid eggs yet, so not all females will lay eggs.

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
I would just give her a pinch every day. Dust her bugs and salad. My female bearded dragon is almost three and still hasn’t laid eggs yet, so not all females will lay eggs.
Thank you. So far I’ve been giving her some each day on her salad.

Why would some females not lay eggs?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just brought Stella home a few days ago. She’s a 10mo old female. I want to make sure I understand the mineral and vitamin D requirements correctly as it seems to me females should have more calcium than males since they produce eggs. If this thought is correct how often do you give females calcium and D and how does this change when they reach 12 months or at what age does this change and what changes when they have just laid eggs?
10 month old should have calcium D3 5 x per week dusted lightly on the insects -- only ONCE per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusted lightly on the insects only ONCE per feeding - at this point it doesnt matter about the eggs - she still growing - it will change at a year old BUT only if your using a UVB T 5 bulb or 12% bulb-- if your using a T 8 bulb you will still need to give the calcium --- they need extra calcium AFTER she lays eggs -- if your using a T 5 or 12% bulb you would then need to give calcium D3 2 times per week alternating w/ a calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus after a year old

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ive givin d3 for the past year and 7 months, i got her as a petco rescue, I’ll probably switch to regular calcium when shes 2, ive been told and its my experience that some lizards grow throughout their lives, a little extra d3 wont hurt and will come out in their urate and stool, just dont give her to much to make her urate hard.

Attachments

• 922B5A14-8B46-41A1-9F48-77F574A2FD33.jpeg
    922B5A14-8B46-41A1-9F48-77F574A2FD33.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
10 month old should have calcium D3 5 x per week dusted lightly on the insects -- only ONCE per feeding - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusted lightly on the insects only ONCE per feeding - at this point it doesnt matter about the eggs - she still growing - it will change at a year old BUT only if your using a UVB T 5 bulb or 12% bulb-- if your using a T 8 bulb you will still need to give the calcium --- they need extra calcium AFTER she lays eggs -- if your using a T 5 or 12% bulb you would then need to give calcium D3 2 times per week alternating w/ a calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus after a year old
I’m using a T8 10% so I’ll plan on including vitamin D long term. It was hard to find T5 fixtures in my area and when I picked her up the people that had her didn’t have any lighting for her so I got the best I could get quickly.

She loves her salads, if she eats beta carotene rich foods is a supplement necessary? Has anyone seen issues without supplementing when the diet is rich in beta carotene?

I am only adding the calcium and D3 once per day now on her salad. Products I have are Miner-All and Repashy Lo D which oddly based online the vitamin D content is higher than Miner-All by quite a bit. I do have a calcium only product I can alternate with when she is older. Any preference for products or do the reputable brands all seem to work as long as they are dosed and timed properly?

How much extra calcium after laying eggs?

Thank you for the help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m using a T8 10% so I’ll plan on including vitamin D long term. It was hard to find T5 fixtures in my area and when I picked her up the people that had her didn’t have any lighting for her so I got the best I could get quickly. Where is the T 8 ? Do you have it in the tank ?

She loves her salads, if she eats beta carotene rich foods is a supplement necessary? Has anyone seen issues without supplementing when the diet is rich in beta carotene? Not really I have not seen the diet thing w/ good beta carotene diet ------ good salad eaters dont need the vitamins maybe once in awhile - they will get most of their nutrients from the salads - if you ever have blood work done at the vet they should be able to tell you what they are low on ---

I am only adding the calcium and D3 once per day now on her salad. Products I have are Miner-All and Repashy Lo D which oddly based online the vitamin D content is higher than Miner-All by quite a bit. I do have a calcium only product I can alternate with when she is older. Any preference for products or do the reputable brands all seem to work as long as they are dosed and timed properly? If shes eating her salads every day then the dusting of them is fine - we have a lot of picky eaters that wont eat salads so I always recommend dusting the insects because I know they will eat those - :) I would say yes on the calcium and brands - you do not want to over dose the vitamin D - so watch how much your giving - you will need to continue the D3 since your not using the T 5 bulb

How much extra calcium after laying eggs? Not sure how much calcium but its good to give extra after egg laying I am not an expert or experienced enough w/ the egg laying thing -- you might want to consult your vet if you have one and make sure its a reptile vet --- they are going to know more about that than a regular vet - www.arav.org

Thank you for the help!

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
The T8 is directly on top of the tank with a hammock that allows her to get within 6 inches of it, which she does several times a day. Her new enclosure will have it hanging inside but I won’t have that for a few months.

We do have an exotic animal vet in town that works with reptiles. I’ll check with them regarding the egg laying and calcium.

So appreciate your time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The T8 is directly on top of the tank with a hammock that allows her to get within 6 inches of it, which she does several times a day. Her new enclosure will have it hanging inside but I won’t have that for a few months.

We do have an exotic animal vet in town that works with reptiles. I’ll check with them regarding the egg laying and calcium.

So appreciate your time.
Is there a screen in between the bulb? If so you need to unobstruct it --- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen - it will block 30% of the rays -- and if your going to a bigger tank I recommend you upgrade the T 8 as well - especially for a 24" high tank - distance is good for now but there MUST be no screen there --- recommendation of 6-8 inches

StellaG

Hatchling Dragon
Ok. Yes right now it’s outside of the screen. I can figure out a way to hang it inside, just haven’t come up with a good plan for that yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. Yes right now it’s outside of the screen. I can figure out a way to hang it inside, just haven’t come up with a good plan for that yet.
I can post some things in the morning

Latest posts