• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

bulbs

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you adhere to the Minimum & Maximum safe & effective distances, added UVB should not be necessary. Just a reminder that MVBs are designed for large enclosures, not smaller ones. Minimum safe distances must be used or they could open up a whole new set of issues.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That depends on the brand & wattage of the bulb you are using ... What size is your enclosure & what wattage & brand of MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) are you using.

Brittany

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I just got a MVB from the hardware store cause its cheaper and I've been unemployed for 3 months
IMG_20120811_183945.jpg
IMG_20120811_183935.jpg
those are my two set ups

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To start with & most important, you are not providing any UVB to your BD with an ordinary MVB purchased from the Hardware Store. That is like trying to provide UVB from a regular fluorescent coil or tube, rather than a specialty UVB fluorescent bulb. Specialty Flurescent & MVB bulbs are manufactured\designed with different Phosphors\gases etc, to make them emit UVB. You can use almost any white or clear bulb (other than fluorecents, of course), of sufficient wattage to provide you with the proper temps for heat, but you need specially formulated bulbs to provide UVB, there is no cheap way around that. I repeat, a regular mercury vapor bulb does not provide UVB.

I really hope that, that is not the type of thermometers you are using to measure your temps, that is shown taped to the back glass in these pictures.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hate to say it, but if you can not afford to provide the proper basics for their health & wellbeing, that may be in their best interest.

smiley-sad.jpg

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hope you can find someone who will take him off you. I hope even more that you would be able to give it a good home but money is a hard thing to grow, i keep burrying it in the ground but no lunk in growing money trees.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I am not trying to be rude, but these types of things make me quite sad. People need to do their research before buying any type of animal, and realize it costs money to take care of any type of animal. It is not fair to the animal, especially if it gets used to its owner or environment and then has to be sent away somewhere else because the owner did not do the proper research beforehand. I am not by any means trying to be mean, I just wish people didn't buy animals without realizing what goes into it. :(

Latest posts