• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

building new inclosure.. questions

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey. Building a 4x2x2 wood enclosure. Using malameme or whatever it is called. Hope that is ok to use??

My 50 gallon aquarium I have now just wont be big enough when my little guy grows up and it doesnt look the best. Plus I would love front door entry instead of top.

anyways, How much ventilation should I get for it? a nice 8 inch by 4 inch vent on the one side plus a few small mesh ones on the top? that suffice?

also, I see names like crossfire enclosures and all that? what does that mean?

and, what would be the best floor to install in there? I like the idea of tiles but Im afraid of the loss of traction. I have tried tiles before and my dragon hated it. didnt want to walk on the floor. Anything that is like tile but has to stickiness to it or some grip?

If I think of anymore during the building phase in the next week or so I will post on this thread,

Thanks everyone!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
On the 8 enclosure viv i used malamene and and framed the front in notty pine wanted to use oak but the wife said it wasnt in the budget Im running a 4 by 16 inch vent on the side and my cool side of the tank is keeping right about 82d i used plexiglass doors lighter and cheaper but your BD will scratch it up so glass would probly be the best for a door. Im useing the malamene as the floor, its slick and the dragons didnt like it at first but are use to it now and it doesnt seem to bother them, will probly add tile later down the road.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Whats a crossfire enclosure??

So I am thinking I will have a sliding glass front, Big vent on the right side wall, 2 circles cut out in the top board (just smaller than the bulb holders so I dont need a mesh screen to rest them on. I will make the the BD cant burn it's self. Then also a few more air vents at the top too. I will completely fake rock wall the left wall and back wall and leave the right wall bare.. maybe some aquarium type wallpaper or something. then have a 2nd level rock wall come all the way down from then back left to the back right in a cascading staircase type way.. with a little cave under it all.. hopefully it all works out the way I invision it in my mind now hahaha

I will start tomorrow with the wood and take pics periodically!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Id stay away from a hide IMO. It just leaves a spot for them to hide then they wont get the UV they need.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im not sure what a crossfire is im guessing a brand of some sort i would have to research.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK.. so MDF board or whatever it is called, malamene, or what? going crazy here on figuring out what board I want to get to do this with lol

ideas?

EDIT.. ok I bought black melamine board and got home depot to cut it for me. I just have to screw and glue it all together. fuuuun.

pics to come..

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So here is what I have so far... The ventilation hole on the side will be covered by a black duct wall vent on inside and outside to hide the terrible jig saw job I did hahaha.

Should I put the track for the glass on the inside of the base frame board or on top of it?? I am thinking right behind it on the floor board

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks good so far, only thing I want To know is why did you use melamine if you are foot to cover it up. It's a waste of money in my personal opinion, not trying to year you down... Just wondering

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well the outside is a nice black and thats what my room is. a modern black and white theme. so I went with black melamine. guess I could have just painted the outside black lol. oh well too late.

anyone have any advice on what colours of acrylic I should use to mix in with the grout??? I have co-co bean brown but anything else?

thanks

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
probably best to go with a base color then dry brush accents on.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
also guys, any ideas on what I could do for the back right corner? right now its still the plywood back and melamine side. There is a channel along the right side as you can see in the last panoramic picture. I would like a small bridge from the low platform to the right rock wall. Im not that artistic and maybe some of you are?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You could grout over that with blue grout and make it look like sky, then dry brush or sponge some clouds in it.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I think you are building an awesome home for your beardie. Lots of time. I am thinking also about building a custome one....I will bookmark your page and use some of your ideas. Thanks....Pat B

Latest posts