• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building New Enclosure

Thin Lizzy's mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am a new Beardie mom. I recently took in a very neglected 1 1/2 year old beardie that was poorly cared for. Fed only freeze dried crickets and Kale and not provided adequate heat and lighting. It was so bad that the poor guy's previous jailors thought he was dead and threw him in the garbage. They later realized their mistake when the garbage bag started moving. I rescue cats as a habit and someone convinced me to take him in. I love him and he has thrived since coming to me but there is soooo much I don't know about reptiles. He came in a 40 gallon tank which I feel is way too small for him. I am planning on building him a large enclosure ( I am thinking 6' x 2') and would really appreciate some advice. My plan is for it to be made of plywood and have plexi glass sliding doors across the front. I may have 2 levels but not sure about that - I am aware beardies aren't climbers by nature but Thin Lizzy loves to be up high. My main struggles are that I have had issues keeping the humidity down. I am in New England and its been a sloppy wet year up here. Even with 2 dehumidifiers running 24/7 the humidity has been between 49 and 60 in my house almost constantly and not much better in his tank. Also, I am concerned about keeping such a large area warm enough with just lamps especially since I have dogs that require air conditioning. I would love some suggestions on how to handle these issues!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am a new Beardie mom. I recently took in a very neglected 1 1/2 year old beardie that was poorly cared for. Fed only freeze dried crickets and Kale and not provided adequate heat and lighting. It was so bad that the poor guy's previous jailors thought he was dead and threw him in the garbage. They later realized their mistake when the garbage bag started moving. I rescue cats as a habit and someone convinced me to take him in. I love him and he has thrived since coming to me but there is soooo much I don't know about reptiles. He came in a 40 gallon tank which I feel is way too small for him. I am planning on building him a large enclosure ( I am thinking 6' x 2') and would really appreciate some advice. My plan is for it to be made of plywood and have plexi glass sliding doors across the front. I may have 2 levels but not sure about that - I am aware beardies aren't climbers by nature but Thin Lizzy loves to be up high. My main struggles are that I have had issues keeping the humidity down. I am in New England and its been a sloppy wet year up here. Even with 2 dehumidifiers running 24/7 the humidity has been between 49 and 60 in my house almost constantly and not much better in his tank. Also, I am concerned about keeping such a large area warm enough with just lamps especially since I have dogs that require air conditioning. I would love some suggestions on how to handle these issues!
Check out this website and ideas -- please post w/ questions there are people here that can help w/ your enclosure -- how are you getting your humidity levels? Analogs are inaccurate - you want a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank --optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70%--- beardies need floor space not height- you want a 24" height I would not go higher then you will have issues heating the tank --

Thin Lizzy's mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Check out this website and ideas -- please post w/ questions there are people here that can help w/ your enclosure -- how are you getting your humidity levels? Analogs are inaccurate - you want a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank --optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 or over 70%--- beardies need floor space not height- you want a 24" height I would not go higher then you will have issues heating the tank --
Thank you for the info! I do use digital. I live on a river. Its pretty swampy here for New England. I've put rice filled socks in his tank to help.

Latest posts