• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building my own enclosure

Nubs

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I am building my own enclosure. I was wondering if plexiglass is ok to use vs glass? TIA.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello,

I am building my own enclosure. I was wondering if plexiglass is ok to use vs glass? TIA.
Absolutely, I actually prefer using plexiglass. It's lightweight and a lot more durable. I'd go with 1/4 inch plexiglass though, I used 1/8 inch on my first build, and I'm not pleased with the lack of strength, it's really easy to bend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nubs

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you. I need it stronger. My cats sit on the tank sometimes. Do you think 1/4 will be ok? What about acrylic?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You're just doing the doors in plexi or acrylic, right?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You'll want additional support for longer pieces of plexiglass then, to make sure it's sturdy. I usually do wooden builds with plexi sliding doors. It makes it harder for the kids to see each other and get all territorial. I find that the wooden enclosures reduce stress in general, as they can't see as much hustle and bustle around them.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I have heard mixed reviews about plexiglass. Did you end up using it? Others have mentioned it warping from the heat and recommended using glass (depending on the size, I have been told you can buy glass used for picture frame replacement)

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Plexiglass is very expensive and it can warp if isnt thick enough. It can also dull over time with cleaning as it scratches easy but it is very strong and easy to cut.
I think glass is a superior material, it dissapates heat quickly and it always looks good with a clean, but you will need to buy it cut exactly to size. Both materials are useful but I guess it depends on their application, if you are building something really big, then weight may become an issue and plexiglass may be the better solution. If you just need a pair of sliding doors, glass would be better imo

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
by the way , I would go to a glaziers and buy toughened safety glass, the kind used for door panels. Use some fine wet and dry / emery paper and sand off sharp edges that will be exposed

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Ok. I am making a 4x2x2 enclosure the front will having sliding glass doors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
You'll want additional support for longer pieces of plexiglass then, to make sure it's sturdy. I usually do wooden builds with plexi sliding doors. It makes it harder for the kids to see each other and get all territorial. I find that the wooden enclosures reduce stress in general, as they can't see as much hustle and bustle around them.

You mentioned you do wooden builds. Do you use a sealer for the wood or just paint?

Latest posts