• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building materials

Jeffrey Turnage

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm wanting to build an new enclosure for my bearded dragon. I am useing an tv stand that us made of wood. I have charcoal aluminum screan for the frount of the cage. Will screan be ok to use. Help please.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
I haven't seen anyone use a screen for the front of the cage - only the top. I'd wonder if your dragon could climb the screen and thus, risk injury? Also, screen needs quite a bit of support to have any rigidity. I built my enclosure as well and put in sliding front glass (Plexiglas). It was a bit of a hassle but I'm happy with the outcome. I also have a removable top but I rarely use it because the sliding doors makes for easy access. I have pictures under the "118 gal Beardie Mansion" post if you'd like to get some ideas.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
At the beginning of the summer, my central air conditioning didn't seem to be doing a good job upstairs. The room that the lizards are in was very hot and their enclosures were giving higher temps. I bought expandable window screens to replace one of the doors in each enclosure and have more air circulation. As it turned out, I hadn't realized one of the central air vents was closed and that's why the room was so hot, duh, lol!
Anyway, something about having the screen doors had them so obsessed...I guess they felt with the screen that they were so close to being able to get out. They were constantly climbing and scratching at them. They do that when they want to come out anyway but this was constantly to the point I was afraid they were going to hurt themselves or wind up ruining the screen and getting out on their own.
Like Jdub said, 2 of my enclosures have plexiglass or acrylic (I can't tell the difference) and the other is a vision cage with I think regular glass, much heavier.

Latest posts