• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

building it myself

Jason P & lexx

Hatchling Dragon
im about to start working on lexx a new tank i know he is small and the deset habitat tank is ok for now but he will grow bigger and need a bigger tank so imma build him one cave el lexx if you will lol just wondering on som tips or hints on building it im thinking of building it out of plexi any tips on dimensions or if i should use glass comparted to plexi and im going to use tile for the floor and fit the tank around it so it seals but the tile can come out to be cleaned. but tips on the access should it be in the back like a sliding door to ease geting him/her out (idk wich one :|) or should i do it on top b/c if the back is a good idea i got a plan for the top to install the lights there in boxes so its a lill more profetional looking . but anyways any and all tips and sugestions are welcome this is the first tank for anything i'm attempting on making so all info is helpfull and welcome by me.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Most people that build them do so out of melamine or a combination of melamine and hardwood plywood with sliding plexiglass or real glass door on the front.
Be aware that your dragon will have a nice set of claws when he is older and they do this thing called "glass dancing" often because they don't really understand the whole concept of glass anyway.
Plexiglass is more likely to be scratched over time so real glass is a better option in my opinion for the door.
Your dragon when an adult will require the equivalent of a 40 gallon Breeder tank as a minimum size for his home. They most common size that folks build however is a 4'x2'x2' enclosure. This will give him more than enough room and is not so big as to make it hard to maintain proper temps and gradients.
I have an excellent complete set of step by step plans complete with a shopping list to build such an enclosure. If you would like a copy of them you can PM me your email and I will be happy to send them to you for free. Only thing I ask is that when you do your build is to take plenty of pics or video and post them in a DIY thread so that others can watch and hopefully be inspired to build too:)
Enjoy!

Latest posts