• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bug sources

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi all. I'm sure that i just keep asking questions that have probably been discussed extensively elsewhere, so I apologize in advance. The pet store where I used to buy my crickets closed a few months ago (it couldn't compete with the Petco that came to town). So now I've had to find other places to buy my feeders. I don't like the other places in town. I buy 1000 crix every week. I feel like I'm not actually getting 1000 though because I don't think my 8 month old beardies actually eat 1000 in a week. I know they don't actually. Anyway, I want to start ordering crix and worms online again but shipping is so expensive.

Do any of you (in the US) know of a website that sells crix and worms that has free shipping, or at least reasonable shipping rates?

Thanks in advance.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
sorry 2 hear bout that, that's a bummer! i use 2 feed crix but ended up buying worms instead...much easier 2 maintain. www.phoenixworms.com sells phoenix worms, u can get bout 100 large 1's 4 around 11 bucks!!! my dragon goes crazy 4 em, they're gr8 4 a dragon's health, very low fat content, no hard shell, the best calcium 2 phosphorus ratio & super easy 2 maintain. they ship in 2 days!!!! silkworms r also a good worm of choice! :D

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
http://www.armstrongcrickets.com/
http://www.ghann.com/
these are the two i use. crickets will last several weeks if you keep them properly and you can or 500 at a time however its cheaper to order 1000. im in n.c. and we also have a local hatchery that i get from sometimes. see if you have one near you. you have to buy fishing bait somewhere and most fisherman dont go to petco. phoenix worms are great supplements but not cost effective to feed as staples. my adults can eat 100 large phoenix worms in two feedings. (thats each dragon)you could switch to superworms which are easier than crickets to keep and last much, much longer. usually about 20 bucks for 1000 and will last 1 to 2 months if kept properly. just a thought

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yes, indeed i've been thinkin bout tryin some superworms. tried silkworms 4 the 1st time in december 4 xmas present 2 my beardie, than phoenix worms 4 jan & feb. variety is the best 4 a dragon when it comes 2 appetite wise & the happier & healthier i can keep my baby, the happier i'll be :D

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I like to feed my boys crickets and worms. My bigger guy loves Phoenix worms and butter worms but nobody around here sells them (which is why I used to order online). I usually buy a box of 1000 and keep them in 2 10 gallon tanks but I really don't think I'm actually getting 1000 in the box from the guy that I'm buying from. My boys maybe eat 2-3 dozen a day (each) and I have to buy more crix every week. He charges $25 for the box of 1000. I had ordered from premium crickets online but shipping is like $30. When I was ordering crix and worms online I was spending about $40-50 every week.... And that just seems like a lot to spend on feeders.

I didn't think about checking for bait shops. I'll have to look into it. Thank you for the links. I'll check them out too.

Falconator

Bearded Dragon Egg
I really like Mulberryfarms.com They do charges shipping on most things, but shipping costs are very low. Also, they have a few packages and "snack packs" with prepaid shipping. I've always been very happy with their quality, and they have a live guarantee. You just have to tell them if your temps are currently below like, 35 or so, and they will send the bugs with heat packs. I order silks, butters and phoenix worms from them. They also have great prices on Goliath Horned worms. :)

Falconator

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh, ok. Cool :) I really like the company and Falcore just *raves* about their silkies! ;-)

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I sucked it up and went to buy a box of crickets from the newish pet store here (Hate buying stuff from him cause he's always trying to rip me off). With our overnight temps in the teens and less I just thought ordering feeders online would be risky at best. I asked the guy if he carried any worm type feeders and he told me that he had meal worms and was out of supers and could get wax worms but didn't like to keep them in stock. I asked him if he could get Phoenix or butter worms from him distributor and he said no and then said "Wax worms and butter worms are the same thing." This guy is the owner of this pet store and they only sell reptiles btw. I quickly told him that they aren't the same and he said "Well they both become moths." I worry about people who buy from him that are new or less knowledgable.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh wooooow!!!!! that guy sounds like a moron!!!!! i feel bad 4 the reptiles he keeps at his pet store!!! along w/the ppl who listen 2 his "advice." & actually, 4 future reference, if u order phoenix worms or silkworms online, u just tell em the temps r low where u r & they'll ship ur worms w/heating packs 2 keep em warm:)

Latest posts