• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Buddy and set up

Jbab

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all. Just wanted to thank you for your help this last week. Buddy really doesn't seem too great :( I finally got to the bottom of what I think was wrong - his viv was WAY too hot. Anyway, I now have an excellent thermostat that switches to night temperatures via a timer - fantastic thing - very clever and worth the money. So.. no more worrying over temperatures. I have spent hours monitoring the temp levels and so far so good.

However, poor buddy is not looking great. He is really stressed out. I have put in new bark and bamboo root under his light for him to bask but his beared has now turned very black and head bobbing earlier and when I went to check him a couple of hours ago he had his head wedged into the corner of his 'cool' side and seemed generally very unhappy. I stroked him and he felt really cold so I placed him on his branch under his lamp. He had 2 wax worms but still won't eat crickets or anything. I understand about relo stress but he is starting to get noticably thiner. I am really worrying that he isn't going to get better.

His temps are now 75-80 in the 'cool' end, 80-85 in the 'hot' end and 95-102 in his basking spot at the hot end. I am trying to keep all intervention with him to a minimum now but he just looks very wary of me and doesn't seem to like anybody in front of his tank - even tho he is used to people looking at him and handling him from the 'hands on' shop I got him from (that I have now learnt doesn't have a very good reputation :mad:)

Really hope Buddy will be OK x

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
every time something is changed in the viv they get stressed. Right now I would still try not to worry too much. You have been changing things around in his world everyday. Just when he gets used to something there is something new. Now that you have the lights and temps right and off sand just leave things alone for a while. Try not to handle him other than needed. He should settle down very soon. Give him a couple more weeks before you start holding him again. I understand your worried, trust me, I am the worry queen. He should be fine very soon, before you know it he will be eating you out of house and home.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you may want to tape some paper on the glass on the bottom half. this will make him feel more secure in his viv.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Buddy, is young, right? You may want to try upping your temps. Beardies under 1 year like the hot side around 110F and the cool side no lower than 85F. Night temps can drop to 65F.

So, I am guessing you have an issue with relo stress and temps. Also, wax worms should be a treat and not offered regularly. I would hold off on giving a young dragon wax worms. Try phoenix worms or dubia roaches if you need a staple other than crickets. Again, if it is relo stress, he may not eat for a couple days.

Latest posts