• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dezchick

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I am a new beardie owner. We just got Roger in the beginning of September. The girl that had him before us was rehabilitating him. Before her, he was living in a tiny enclosure, without proper lights barely taken care of. Well he’s now 2ish, and seemed to be acting normal when she had him.

So I had the basking temp anywhere from 100-108 and he acted like it was too hot and was trying to get out or try to dig so he can cool down. So I lowered the wattage on the basking bulb. His basking spot now is from 94-99 usually. He seems to like it better but is this what is causing the possible brumation? Our house is kept colder but I’m assuming if the temps in his enclosure stay the same it doesn’t matter?

We have still been feeding him and holding him and letting him hang out for about 15-30 mins a day except for this week. He last ate Dubia roaches on Sunday and has not pooped since. I did not have a fecal done because I honestly wasn’t sure if that’s what was happening. He’s been in the same hide since Sunday right after he ate. I’ve read the bugs can rot in his stomach. Is he going to be ok if we leave him be? I need some guidance from someone that knows much more than I do. Please Help!!!

TIA

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I am a new beardie owner. We just got Roger in the beginning of September. The girl that had him before us was rehabilitating him. Before her, he was living in a tiny enclosure, without proper lights barely taken care of. Well he’s now 2ish, and seemed to be acting normal when she had him.

So I had the basking temp anywhere from 100-108 and he acted like it was too hot and was trying to get out or try to dig so he can cool down. So I lowered the wattage on the basking bulb. His basking spot now is from 94-99 usually. He seems to like it better but is this what is causing the possible brumation? Our house is kept colder but I’m assuming if the temps in his enclosure stay the same it doesn’t matter?

We have still been feeding him and holding him and letting him hang out for about 15-30 mins a day except for this week. He last ate Dubia roaches on Sunday and has not pooped since. I did not have a fecal done because I honestly wasn’t sure if that’s what was happening. He’s been in the same hide since Sunday right after he ate. I’ve read the bugs can rot in his stomach. Is he going to be ok if we leave him be? I need some guidance from someone that knows much more than I do. Please Help!!!

TIA
Surface basking temps need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- NO analogs for that you can use them for ambient temps in the tank - temps at night should be 65-75 for best sleep NO lights on at night- so if your house temp is 65-75 that tank will fall to those temps - UVB should be a long tube fixture NO coils they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues - basking bulbs should be clear solid bright white bulb NO colored NO off white and NO yellowish NO daytime bulbs -- Older dragons can take 2-3 weeks for them to poop but your surface basking temps should be on par w/ the UVB- if you need help w/ any of this please ask so we can get him to stay healthy - the previous living conditions do not sound good -- improper lighting and UVB will cause health issues -- NO enemas at the vet they are a risk hazard -- if you want a fecal done take the sample in -- please ask specific questions -- I can post links for you to get you set up --- are you feeding him salads?

Latest posts