• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
My girl has been keeping herself in her log 24/7. It’s been going on for a few weeks now if not more. I’ve pulled her out a few times, given her a bath and she would poo in the bath. After that she would sit on her rocks under the heat lamp but at some point in the following day she would burrow back into her log again.
I looked this up and it appears to be brumate. Will she live through this? Do I have to force her out every so often or should I leave her alone?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My girl has been keeping herself in her log 24/7. It’s been going on for a few weeks now if not more. I’ve pulled her out a few times, given her a bath and she would poo in the bath. After that she would sit on her rocks under the heat lamp but at some point in the following day she would burrow back into her log again.
I looked this up and it appears to be brumate. Will she live through this? Do I have to force her out every so often or should I leave her alone?
It is instinct for them to brumate-- how old is she? Do you have a weight on her? It sounds like she is doing the normal thing but lets go over the basking temps in the tank? You want surface temps not air / ambient and they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- stickons are inaccurate - UVB another crucial thing in the tank -- are you using a coil or a tube ? Where is the UVB ? top of screen or inside the tank ?

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
It is instinct for them to brumate-- how old is she? Do you have a weight on her? It sounds like she is doing the normal thing but lets go over the basking temps in the tank? You want surface temps not air / ambient and they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- stickons are inaccurate - UVB another crucial thing in the tank -- are you using a coil or a tube ? Where is the UVB ? top of screen or inside the tank ?
So the probe I have is right under the uvb bulb and it reads 84.6. I will move it to the basking bulb area and take it there. I have the Arcadia 14 percent tube bulb. Resting right above the screen. It’s a stronger bulb. Where should I put the probe to get an acccurate temp reading? It won’t stick to the glass anymore.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So the probe I have is right under the uvb bulb and it reads 84.6. I will move it to the basking bulb area and take it there. I have the Arcadia 14 percent tube bulb. Resting right above the screen. It’s a stronger bulb. Where should I put the probe to get an acccurate temp reading? It won’t stick to the glass anymore.
Place the probe on the basking spot where she sits to bask you dont need to leave it there spot check basking temps every other week or so you can place the probe hanging over something or get a new suction cup --- the 14% bulb is a good strong one--- how tall is your tank?

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
Place the probe on the basking spot where she sits to bask you dont need to leave it there spot check basking temps every other week or so you can place the probe hanging over something or get a new suction cup --- the 14% bulb is a good strong one--- how tall is your tank?
Oh ok, I didn’t realize I had to put it where she sits. Ok I’ll move it now and than check it In a bit. Her tank is 18 inches high. The dimensions are 36x18x18.

Momofadragon

Hatchling Dragon
I forgot to add she’s nearing her 1 year birthday. I don’t exactly remember how old she was when I got her from the reptil expo in April but she was definitely a wee little string bean. Here’s a pic of the day i got her…maybe you can help me determine her age with this pic.

Attachments

• E04D8B3D-B191-4D5A-B93F-1B0623364E32.jpeg
    E04D8B3D-B191-4D5A-B93F-1B0623364E32.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 6FDEEE2C-39D9-40C4-9754-8006C1EB7F6D.jpeg
    6FDEEE2C-39D9-40C4-9754-8006C1EB7F6D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh ok, I didn’t realize I had to put it where she sits. Ok I’ll move it now and than check it In a bit. Her tank is 18 inches high. The dimensions are 36x18x18.
Ok for a 18 inch tank a 14% bulb is strong --- how far is the basking decor piece under it- and what type of screen do you have ? is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type of screen -- I am going to ask someone who can give me more info on how to place that UVB distance etc --- we dont want to over UVB her -- do you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank -- like a 120 gallon -- 14% bulbs are better for taller tanks like a 24" high tank --- if not then when you change the bulb out I would go down to the Arcadia 12% bulb then your distance would be 12-15 inches INSIDE the tank unless you are using a wide hole screen -- I will get back w/ you on the distance for the 14--

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I forgot to add she’s nearing her 1 year birthday. I don’t exactly remember how old she was when I got her from the reptil expo in April but she was definitely a wee little string bean. Here’s a pic of the day i got her…maybe you can help me determine her age with this pic.
Did the breeder/ seller say how old she was then? If she was 2 months old then she would be around 14 months old -- do you a current pic of her now?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok for a 18 inch tank a 14% bulb is strong --- how far is the basking decor piece under it- and what type of screen do you have ? is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type of screen -- I am going to ask someone who can give me more info on how to place that UVB distance etc --- we dont want to over UVB her -- do you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank -- like a 120 gallon -- 14% bulbs are better for taller tanks like a 24" high tank --- if not then when you change the bulb out I would go down to the Arcadia 12% bulb then your distance would be 12-15 inches INSIDE the tank unless you are using a wide hole screen -- I will get back w/ you on the distance for the 14--
Here is what I got back from someone who has better insight for tanks w/ a 14% bulb

I would (And do) use a 12% bulb with an 18'' tall enclosure. The 14% should sit about 18-24'' above the main basking area. Closer to 18'' if shining through a mesh top. That would leave very little room for elevated basking areas in an 18'' tall enclosure.

Latest posts