• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
We live in North East US, and our 7 month old is showing signs of brumation. Sluggish, reduced appetite and much more time on cooler side of tank. Temps and lighting are perfect and in line with everything posted on this site. Do I continue to offer food? Should I reduce her amount of daylight? Should we avoid handling? Any links or feedback on how to best manage this phase are appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We live in North East US, and our 7 month old is showing signs of brumation. Sluggish, reduced appetite and much more time on cooler side of tank. Temps and lighting are perfect and in line with everything posted on this site. Do I continue to offer food? Should I reduce her amount of daylight? Should we avoid handling? Any links or feedback on how to best manage this phase are appreciated.
7 months is pretty young to be exhibiting this behavior- please post a pic of the tank and lighting- how much does he weigh?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd continue to offer food and keep the heat up. Try to discourage brumation at such a young age. Handling, as always, should be based on the animal's willingness to tolerate it. Don't unnecessarily stress them but use environmental controls to encourage them to stay awake.

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
7 months is pretty young to be exhibiting this behavior- please post a pic of the tank and lighting- how much does he weigh?

Here is tank (previously posted). She is 8 months old, weighs 185G. FYI last week you suggested I reduce her big intake. She eagerly eats, AM and afternoon, but tends to want to go to her sleep spot earlier than usual.

Attachments

• Frita Tank.jpg
    Frita Tank.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is tank (previously posted). She is 8 months old, weighs 185G. FYI last week you suggested I reduce her big intake. She eagerly eats, AM and afternoon, but tends to want to go to her sleep spot earlier than usual.
Ok your uvb needs to be in a fixture-- at this point your uvb rays are going all over that tank- please get a fixture/ hood with a reflector like a Zoo Med- the fixture/ hood will reflect the rays downward toward her which is what you want-- this is a good reason for the brumation type behavior- your bulb is a T 5 or a T 8?

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
Ok your uvb needs to be in a fixture-- at this point your uvb rays are going all over that tank- please get a fixture/ hood with a reflector like a Zoo Med- the fixture/ hood will reflect the rays downward toward her which is what you want-- this is a good reason for the brumation type behavior- your bulb is a T 5 or a T 8?
T-5. the fixture I am using was recommended by one of the experts on this forum. Prior to this last week, she knew how to get plenty of UVB by staying directly under it as needed. Why would she choose to NOT get the UVB she needs only recently, when she has been getting plenty for months? Just trying to make sense of it all.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
T-5. the fixture I am using was recommended by one of the experts on this forum. Prior to this last week, she knew how to get plenty of UVB by staying directly under it as needed. Why would she choose to NOT get the UVB she needs only recently, when she has been getting plenty for months? Just trying to make sense of it all.
Dragons know what they need --- mine dont always bask under the UVB every day either -- if she has the option and its correct she will bask when she needs to -- I see her clear to the top of the hammock meaning shes trying to get to those rays --- please get a fixture w/ a reflector ASAP -- it will keep her from going clear up there to the top - the reflector in the tank will direct the rays downward toward her --- the T 5 will need to be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches for a T 5 --- I would look at a Zoo Med fixture how long is the UVB bulb ?

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
She now has a sunblaster 24" UVB with reflector over basking spot and mid tank with varying height for her to choose from. Despit this, she is still choosing to spend most time on cool side hammock. She is eating two healthy meals each day. Do I leave her alone? Place her on basking side periodically? She is pooping fine, and is calm and friendly when handled.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She now has a sunblaster 24" UVB with reflector over basking spot and mid tank with varying height for her to choose from. Despit this, she is still choosing to spend most time on cool side hammock. She is eating two healthy meals each day. Do I leave her alone? Place her on basking side periodically? She is pooping fine, and is calm and friendly when handled.
So the distance is 12-15 inches inside the tank? She will go to the uvb when she needs it- dragons know what they need- keep watch on her - she maybe trying to semi brumate if she's eating etc- my blaze has been doing a lot of sleeping lately today he was finally out on his rock under his uvb and he is eating but less amount - he's a heavy boy so not worried about his weight- I would keep an eye on her weight- I would weigh her about every 2-3 weeks to see if she's losing

Latest posts