• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation?

Lydiasmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is just a little over a year old, and for the last two days they’ve stayed in the same shaded spot. They’re eyes open and close but that’s all the movement. I tried to offer some bugs, but they weren’t interested which is unusual. Anyways, it’s the winter here so I am wondering if they are brumating and I should leave them alone? Or should I try and interact with them.

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
I would schedule a checkup with a Vet first and get a fecal done to rule out parasites because that can mimic brumation. After that the most important thing is making sure he/she stay hydrated and monitor his/her weight. What is the basking temperature and what are you using for UVB

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes please go over the basking temps and how your taking them -- No stick ons they are inaccurate UVB coil or tube and brand and bulb please -- where in the tank is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank ? Are you housing two together by you saying "them" I am assuming you have two? If so they need to be separated ASAP -- dragons should never be housed together unless you are breeding them -- dragons are territorial -- one will become dominant over the other and one will suffer ---

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
The OP might be using they/them pronouns for the beardie, not necessarily keeping two together.

If your husbandry is correct, your beardie is probably heading into brumation. Monitor weight and decrease the temps if this is the case.

Lydiasmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes please go over the basking temps and how your taking them -- No stick ons they are inaccurate UVB coil or tube and brand and bulb please -- where in the tank is the UVB top of screen or inside the tank ? Are you housing two together by you saying "them" I am assuming you have two? If so they need to be separated ASAP -- dragons should never be housed together unless you are breeding them -- dragons are territorial -- one will become dominant over the other and one will suffer ---
The basking temps are about 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit. My uvb is on top of the screen right now, I’ve been looking into getting one for inside. And by “they” I’m just referring to one dragon since I don’t know they’re gender.

Lydiasmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would schedule a checkup with a Vet first and get a fecal done to rule out parasites because that can mimic brumation. After that the most important thing is making sure he/she stay hydrated and monitor his/her weight. What is the basking temperature and what are you using for UVB
The basking temp is around 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit and I’m using a mercury vapor bulb for UVB

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The basking temp is around 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit and I’m using a mercury vapor bulb for UVB
What is the brand and wattage of the MVB-- it is hard to keep temps and UVB w/ those and they do require a certain distance for them to be adequate -- the basking temps need to be 95-110- 80 is too low for basking and those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you want your cool side to be 80's mid tank 90's and basking area 95-110-- I am also thinking shes not getting enough UVB -- the MVB's also require NO obstruction most of the MVB's peoples tanks have them on a stand hanging over the basking area - what size tank is the dragon in? If you can post a pic of the dragon w/ the vent facing camera tail in the air I will look to see if I can sex her/ him-- I am thinking the dragon is not getting warm enough basking temps and not enough UVB - too cool of temps will put them in a brumation type state

Latest posts