• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

brumation update and questions, please help

Alex Arrigone

Hatchling Dragon
ok so marley has finally woken up. he's been asleep for almost 5 months and he was only around 6 months old when he fell asleep. when I noticed he'd woken up (stuck his head out of his cage) I left him to it for 24 hrs to wake up properly before turning the tank lights back on and heat too.

once I was sure he was awake and not just relocating to somewhere more cosy I switched the light on. he's eaten a bit and had some water too oh and a bath too.

my questions are ;

1. how long does it take them to wake up and get back to normal (he's not particularly active, or interested in food and is a bit nervous)
  2. he seems to have stress lines and is a bit grumpy, I would feel the same if I woke up after 5 months but none the less, is this normal
  3. he has a back right leg jerk/kick back that has started happening every so often, why is this and is it bad news.
  4. seems to want to sleep a lot, he's out of the viv now on a little run around and instead of having fun he's just found a cosy corner under my computer screen and gone to sleep.
thanks in advance for your help. I prepared well for him going to sleep and when he woke up I realised I didn't have a clue how to deal with that. guess i'll know for next time.

cheers

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
  1. how long does it take them to wake up and get back to normal (he's not particularly active, or interested in food and is a bit nervous) Varies from BD to BD, mine generally after a few days, are eating and then start to frequently glass dance. Almost like they have forgotten that they are a caged animal & trying to escape.
  2. he seems to have stress lines and is a bit grumpy, I would feel the same if I woke up after 5 months but none the less, is this normal You got it ;) .
  3. he has a back right leg jerk/kick back that has started happening every so often, why is this and is it bad news. The description is rather vague, if it continues enough to cause you concern (You are there, we are not ...), then a Vet trip is in order.
  4. seems to want to sleep a lot, he's out of the viv now on a little run around and instead of having fun he's just found a cosy corner under my computer screen and gone to sleep. This is normal BD activity at any time.
Good Luck

Latest posts