• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

brumation at a young age

Adiryacobi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I have a 5 month old beard, from the beginning of winter he has decreased in his function .. he eats very little and hides in his hiding place and is tired. He's in this condition for two weeks and he shows no signs of being sick or a black beard and he does not lose weight at all. I know they behave like that in winter but I do not know if it is healthy for him because he is young.
We have a terrarium 110x40x40 cm and a linear bulb 24" arcadia, on the hot side 40° -43° and on the cold side 26° and at night 24°. Thanks for the helpers

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi I have a 5 month old beard, from the beginning of winter he has decreased in his function .. he eats very little and hides in his hiding place and is tired. He's in this condition for two weeks and he shows no signs of being sick or a black beard and he does not lose weight at all. I know they behave like that in winter but I do not know if it is healthy for him because he is young.
We have a terrarium 110x40x40 cm and a linear bulb 24" arcadia, on the hot side 40° -43° and on the cold side 26° and at night 24°. Thanks for the helpers
So its a 100 gallon tank -- your UVB is a great bulb is it in a fixture w/ a reflector if not please get one--- your dragon should be not lethargic he should be eating and basking and active lack of UVB will make them have this behavior your describing -- UVB should be inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor -- basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white bulb NO off white NO yellowish and NO ceramic heat emitters for basking --

Adiryacobi

Bearded Dragon Egg
So its a 100 gallon tank -- your UVB is a great bulb is it in a fixture w/ a reflector if not please get one--- your dragon should be not lethargic he should be eating and basking and active lack of UVB will make them have this behavior your describing -- UVB should be inside the tank w/a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor -- basking bulb should be a CLEAR bright white bulb NO off white NO yellowish and NO ceramic heat emitters for basking --
Well now I am checking exaggerated with the height of the terrarium the height is 35cm and the distance in the hot area is 22cm from the lamp. Should I raise the lamps higher?
To be precise I have a t5 lamp 12% arcadia with a reflector and a 100 watt heat lamp. I have attached pictures of the terrarium.
20211215_003056.jpg
20211215_003410.jpg
20211215_003555.jpg
Screenshot_20211215-004028_Gallery.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well now I am checking exaggerated with the height of the terrarium the height is 35cm and the distance in the hot area is 22cm from the lamp. Should I raise the lamps higher?
To be precise I have a t5 lamp 12% arcadia with a reflector and a 100 watt heat lamp. I have attached pictures of the terrarium.
View attachment 31136View attachment 31137View attachment 31138View attachment 31139
So all your lighting looks good and him too-- what are you feeding him for insects- lower the basking decor start w/ that first - your screen for the uvb is good for on my top distance 8-10 inches looks good too - only thing I can think of is weather related what is his weight? Weigh on kitchen food scale weigh in grams- if he's 300 or so he can eat less winter will slow them down on eating-

Adiryacobi

Bearded Dragon Egg
So all your lighting looks good and him too-- what are you feeding him for insects- lower the basking decor start w/ that first - your screen for the uvb is good for on my top distance 8-10 inches looks good too - only thing I can think of is weather related what is his weight? Weigh on kitchen food scale weigh in grams- if he's 300 or so he can eat less winter will slow them down on eating-
I feed it on Superworms, dubia and salad. It weighs 200 grams and is 30 cm long. If it's really because of winter how long will it be like this?
Should I focus on important things?
Thanks for the help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed it on Superworms, dubia and salad. It weighs 200 grams and is 30 cm long. If it's really because of winter how long will it be like this?
Should I focus on important things?
Thanks for the help
Ok your lighting and basking temps are good --- itcould be the weather and they will all slow down in the winter time --- you can have a fecal done take it in NO enemas have it checked for parasites if they have too many his appetite will decrease and even stop if there are too many of them --- call your vet ask them if you can drop off a fecal sample to be tested for parasites --- do you have a reptile vet not a regular vet but someone who knows beardies? If not here is a website to find one near you

Adiryacobi

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok your lighting and basking temps are good --- itcould be the weather and they will all slow down in the winter time --- you can have a fecal done take it in NO enemas have it checked for parasites if they have too many his appetite will decrease and even stop if there are too many of them --- call your vet ask them if you can drop off a fecal sample to be tested for parasites --- do you have a reptile vet not a regular vet but someone who knows beardies? If not here is a website to find one near you
Thank you very much I will do it to be safe

Latest posts