• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation at 4 months?

Cass

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my baby beardie Pippin has been healthy all the while I've had him and this weekend he began hiding in the corner of his tank in the dark. When I checked on him after coming home he had hidden underneath his rock, was aggressive, wasn't responding to food,and didn't want anything to do with the basking end of his tank. The next day was exactly the same so I left him alone. It seemed odd that he would be so young and displaying these behaviors but it is nearly winter here so I figured I would set up a vet appointment to see if he was brumating. Today he is energetic, basking again, and responsive to food. Did he just feel ill and it's worked it's way out?? Did he go through some sort of mini brumation since he wouldn't be old enough to brumate for a long period? This is my first beardie so I've never experienced brumation before and I want to know if this is normal behavior or something requiring an immediate vet visit.

Pip has a 70 gallon tank with one third currently walled off.
Diet: mostly crickets, also eats green beans, soft sweet potato, mango, and mashed peas on occasion with calcium suppliment, water is offered in a dish and he gets a bath once a week where he usually drinks
Has two round bulb lamps: one UVB and one for daylight/heat, temps in basking area are upper 90s. Also has a heat mat underneath the tank to up the ambient temp since we live somewhere cold.

Latest posts