• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation and medicine?

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! My beardie was diagnosed with 3 different kinds of parasites a few months ago. I assume she got it from where she was living before my sister bought her for me. She doesn't poop in her tank at all and I keep it clean and sanitized so I'm not worried about her getting reinfected. Her vet gave me two different kinds of medicine to give her. She finished her first treatment and her fecal test showed that two of the parasites was gone but a small amount remained of the 3rd one. The vet told me to give her medicine for a few more weeks then we can retest her fecal. The only problem is now I was halfway through her second treatment and she started brumation. Before this, she was active, eating everything in sight and the vet said she is healthy and a good weight at her last check up so I know her behavior now is not from the parasites. My questions is should I wake her to give her the medicine or continue the treatment after she wakes?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys! My beardie was diagnosed with 3 different kinds of parasites a few months ago. I assume she got it from where she was living before my sister bought her for me. She doesn't poop in her tank at all and I keep it clean and sanitized so I'm not worried about her getting reinfected. Her vet gave me two different kinds of medicine to give her. She finished her first treatment and her fecal test showed that two of the parasites was gone but a small amount remained of the 3rd one. The vet told me to give her medicine for a few more weeks then we can retest her fecal. The only problem is now I was halfway through her second treatment and she started brumation. Before this, she was active, eating everything in sight and the vet said she is healthy and a good weight at her last check up so I know her behavior now is not from the parasites. My questions is should I wake her to give her the medicine or continue the treatment after she wakes?
In proper UVB will cause brumation behavior along w/ in proper basking temps--- let rule those things out first before we completely determine its brumation - what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please --- also are you using a coil UVB? or a long tube fixture?

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
In proper UVB will cause brumation behavior along w/ in proper basking temps--- let rule those things out first before we completely determine its brumation - what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please --- also are you using a coil UVB? or a long tube fixture?
Hey Sadie, I bought the reptisun 10.0 T5 and the probe that you suggested in my other post. The basking temp is 102 degrees now. I guess because I was using the Powersun all in one bulb before and it was incorrect temps, it caused the brumation.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She might be having side affects from the other two drugs leaving her system, (ive never had to put any of my lizards on medications , so take what i say as conjecture) (but if fish can go through withdrawals im pretty sure a lizard can too) in my opinion i think she should be woken up and still given the meds, i think its better you mess up her brumation schedule than have her parasites grow in numbers again :/ whats the temps where you live? Are you going into winter?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Sadie, I bought the reptisun 10.0 T5 and the probe that you suggested in my other post. The basking temp is 102 degrees now. I guess because I was using the Powersun all in one bulb before and it was incorrect temps, it caused the brumation.
Did you get the UVB properly placed? Top of screen or inside the tank? If this is all correct then I would call the vet and tell them what is going on ---- dragons are going to have some parasites in the intestine that is normal - small counts are not going to hurt them ---- its when they get too high of a count that causes issues and that is why its important to have good UVB and basking temps - your basking temps might be a little high for her now? How old is she? If shes a year or a little under I would maybe get them down to between 95-100- the older the dragon gets they dont like real hot temps- I am trying to determine if shes actually in brumation --- temps UVB and parasites can cause brumation behavior --- is she eating? That and I dont want her overdosed on the meds --- is she acting lethargic? Keep her hydrated that is a must when on medication --- get a hold of your vet and ask him about the behavior shes exhibiting and see what they say --- you want to know if the med should still be given but we need to find out if its true brumation--- odd that she would pick a time now to do that-- w/ all that is going on thats why its a must to determine if its true brumation or something else going on-- w/ the good lighting and temps its going to help her keep those parasites under control as well ---

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
She might be having side affects from the other two drugs leaving her system, (ive never had to put any of my lizards on medications , so take what i say as conjecture) (but if fish can go through withdrawals im pretty sure a lizard can too) in my opinion i think she should be woken up and still given the meds, i think its better you mess up her brumation schedule than have her parasites grow in numbers again :/ whats the temps where you live? Are you going into winter?
Right. I was thinking the same thing. I live in Georgia the temps are in the high 90s everyday. She had a major shed about a month ago and right after that she started sleeping all the time. That's when Sadie suggested getting the Reptisun 10.0 which I did.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right. I was thinking the same thing. I live in Georgia the temps are in the high 90s everyday. She had a major shed about a month ago and right after that she started sleeping all the time. That's when Sadie suggested getting the Reptisun 10.0 which I did.
Was she basking after the new UVB went in? Was she still eating or increased eating? What was the behavior like after the new UVB went in and how long has she been on the medication? What is the humidity in the tank?

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you get the UVB properly placed? Top of screen or inside the tank? If this is all correct then I would call the vet and tell them what is going on ---- dragons are going to have some parasites in the intestine that is normal - small counts are not going to hurt them ---- its when they get too high of a count that causes issues and that is why its important to have good UVB and basking temps - your basking temps might be a little high for her now? How old is she? If shes a year or a little under I would maybe get them down to between 95-100- the older the dragon gets they dont like real hot temps- I am trying to determine if shes actually in brumation --- temps UVB and parasites can cause brumation behavior --- is she eating? That and I dont want her overdosed on the meds --- is she acting lethargic? Keep her hydrated that is a must when on medication --- get a hold of your vet and ask him about the behavior shes exhibiting and see what they say --- you want to know if the med should still be given but we need to find out if its true brumation--- odd that she would pick a time now to do that-- w/ all that is going on thats why its a must to determine if its true brumation or something else going on-- w/ the good lighting and temps its going to help her keep those parasites under control as well ---
I placed it inside the tank. She is a little over a year now. She has been sleeping everyday for like a few weeks now. About a month ago she had a major shed, was eating a whole lot then had a big poop then started sleeping more and more. She's sleeping inside of her rock cave everyday. I will talk to the vet but she doesn't know too much about beardie's behavior.

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
Was she basking after the new UVB went in? Was she still eating or increased eating? What was the behavior like after the new UVB went in and how long has she been on the medication? What is the humidity in the tank?
Yes she was basking and eating for awhile running around and stuff. Then sleeping. She was on the meds about 3 weeks now. The humidity is 30%

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I placed it inside the tank. She is a little over a year now. She has been sleeping everyday for like a few weeks now. About a month ago she had a major shed, was eating a whole lot then had a big poop then started sleeping more and more. She's sleeping inside of her rock cave everyday. I will talk to the vet but she doesn't know too much about beardie's behavior.
You need to ask about the meds---- and she doesnt know about bearded dragons behavior???? Is she a reptile vet? I am going to consult a vet tech that is a reptile tech I will get back w/ you hopefully tomorrow --- she usually checks mail late at nite --- I want to know what she thinks --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is one reply I got from a person that is very experienced w/ dragons --
I'd let her sleep. It's concerning that the vet doesn't know much about beardies and yet this dragon has been on meds. for a seemingly long time . I think that the meds. MGHT be the cause of the lethargy so cutting those out and seeing how the dragon reacts is best right now and if it truly is brumation the dragon should be allowed to sleep. BTW, whatever temp. outside should have no bearing on the inside unless the person has no A.C. THEN it would be too hot in the house + in the beardie tank. Ask if that's the case. If so, they need to be sure the house stays below 85 . Offer the dragon water at least once a week because of all the meds. and possible overheating.

I will post what the vet tech thinks --- when I get a response from her

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to ask about the meds---- and she doesnt know about bearded dragons behavior???? Is she a reptile vet? I am going to consult a vet tech that is a reptile tech I will get back w/ you hopefully tomorrow --- she usually checks mail late at nite --- I want to know what she thinks --
It's an exotic animal hospital but she is not a reptile vet. Ok Thank you so much!

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is one reply I got from a person that is very experienced w/ dragons --
I'd let her sleep. It's concerning that the vet doesn't know much about beardies and yet this dragon has been on meds. for a seemingly long time . I think that the meds. MGHT be the cause of the lethargy so cutting those out and seeing how the dragon reacts is best right now and if it truly is brumation the dragon should be allowed to sleep. BTW, whatever temp. outside should have no bearing on the inside unless the person has no A.C. THEN it would be too hot in the house + in the beardie tank. Ask if that's the case. If so, they need to be sure the house stays below 85 . Offer the dragon water at least once a week because of all the meds. and possible overheating.

I will post what the vet tech thinks --- when I get a response from her
Ok thanks so much and tell that person thank you too

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from the vet tech and this is what she said

If your girl is in brumation right now & seems to be maintaining her weight
at the moment then I would probably just let her rest. Monitor her weight
& body condition to be sure she isn't stressed or losing weight & becoming
dehydrated.
You can leave the lights on a shorter cycle right now, just so she has a light
schedule.
I would get a weight and watch and see if shes losing --- I would weigh her every 2 weeks on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams

Anarchy88

Bearded Dragon Egg
I heard back from the vet tech and this is what she said

If your girl is in brumation right now & seems to be maintaining her weight
at the moment then I would probably just let her rest. Monitor her weight
& body condition to be sure she isn't stressed or losing weight & becoming
dehydrated.
You can leave the lights on a shorter cycle right now, just so she has a light
schedule.
I would get a weight and watch and see if shes losing --- I would weigh her every 2 weeks on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams
Ok thank you so much!

Latest posts