• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumation - ALREADY??

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sedona was born in May..is it possible he's going into brumation already? He was eating and pooping fine up until yesterday. Yesterday I noticed when I got home he was in his little den all curled up. I picked it up and he came out and walked around a little bit. Wasn't interested in the crickets, went back in and curled up. Put his lights back on today and when I came home from work he's still curled up in his log. When I walked up to the tank he did open his eyes and look at me, then closed them again. His coloring is good and he's been fine. He's also due for a bath.

My concern is his age..he's young though a big boy at 21 inches. Is he too young to "brumate" if that's the correct term? What should I do about heating vs lighting for him. I'm in Northern New Jersey and we haven't had a real cold spell yet. His tank is also on top of a cabinet that has baseboard heat behind it so even at night when I shut everything down it's not getting that cold..maybe in the 70's. So I'm a bit worried.

HELP APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks
Chris and Sedona

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Before we can say that it is brumation (which is possible at his age by the way). It is probably a good idea to get a fecal done to rule out any other factors.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tend to do fecals every 6 months or when behavior changes are evident. Always a good idea...
Janie

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks all. Since he's just hangin I guess I'll have to bring him to the vet so they can attempt to get the "fecal" out of him. He pooped yesterday but nothing today.

Latest posts