• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumating

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I believe my beardie is brumating, I am just concerned that he is only 10 months old. He doesn't appear sick in the least but wants to be in his hide spot and not on his basking spot, he eats barely a thing, he looks at it with interest but will eat none or about 2 bites of veggies. Should I offer roaches still when he is eating no veggies(he eats veggies but not even 50% of his diet)? I am wondering at what point I should be concerned since he is not yet fully grown. He is 418g, 21.5", basking area is 95F, UV light is set to 12 hours....if his weight drops below a certain point beyond this point, when should I be concerned?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe my beardie is brumating, I am just concerned that he is only 10 months old. He doesn't appear sick in the least but wants to be in his hide spot and not on his basking spot, he eats barely a thing, he looks at it with interest but will eat none or about 2 bites of veggies. Should I offer roaches still when he is eating no veggies(he eats veggies but not even 50% of his diet)? I am wondering at what point I should be concerned since he is not yet fully grown. He is 418g, 21.5", basking area is 95F, UV light is set to 12 hours....if his weight drops below a certain point beyond this point, when should I be concerned?
10 months is young for brumation but he is of good weight- so he is only eating insects? Typical - his diet is still 80% insects 20% salads- they do go thru a slow down period so just keep an eye on him --- your temps your getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? And UVB is a good long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster??????????? Needs to be properly placed in the tank for the screen being used -- ?? If he starts dropping a lot of weight it would be a good idea to have a parasite test done- NO Enemas!!

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks...will just keep a weight on him and watch. His heat is set with a digital probe and is checked with an infrared temperature gage and it is a Zoo Med bulb, all is good there. Do you suppose it is a good idea to offer him roaches at all? I put a salad in everyday with foods from a list you gave me awhile back and water but the last time we offered dubias was 3 days ago and he was not interested, he just watched it crawling around. Do I soak him at all during this time?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks...will just keep a weight on him and watch. His heat is set with a digital probe and is checked with an infrared temperature gage and it is a Zoo Med bulb, all is good there. Do you suppose it is a good idea to offer him roaches at all? I put a salad in everyday with foods from a list you gave me awhile back and water but the last time we offered dubias was 3 days ago and he was not interested, he just watched it crawling around. Do I soak him at all during this time?
No soaking unless that is the only way he drinks water- otherwise offer water by dropping water on his nose or place him on a salad plate feet and head spray and let the water drip off his head - they will usually start to drink after a couple of min if they are thirsty - offer him food / roaches every couple of days --- mine are doing more sleeping and not eating either - one is pretty much in full brumation the other one went into his hide early yesterday and is still there this morning - hes more of a semi brumation dragon -- just watch his behavior - offer him the water once a week and see what he does

Latest posts