• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brumating Beardie burrowed in substrate

BabyBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! First time reptile owner here... And our Beardie has decided to brumate! She dug herself a tunnel in the substrate (bioactive enclosure), and is completely covered. Everything I have read online, says I should leave her alone. But, most articles I have found don't reference whether they are buried in substrate, or in a hide where you can just peek to check on them. Can anyone give some guidance... Do I leave her sleep uninterrupted and fully submerged in substrate, or should I carefully uncover her so I can check on her?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! First time reptile owner here... And our Beardie has decided to brumate! She dug herself a tunnel in the substrate (bioactive enclosure), and is completely covered. Everything I have read online, says I should leave her alone. But, most articles I have found don't reference whether they are buried in substrate, or in a hide where you can just peek to check on them. Can anyone give some guidance... Do I leave her sleep uninterrupted and fully submerged in substrate, or should I carefully uncover her so I can check on her?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
How old is she and has she brumated before? Is it winter where you are? Usually dragons will brumate towards fall early winter-- I am gonna post some info on brumation
https://www.beardeddragon.org/resources/brumation-in-bearded-dragons.4/
Please get a weight on her the next time you have her out -- she needs to stay hydrated so getting her out every 2 weeks for hydration and weight check at least once a month - they should not brumate for longer than 3 months - if shes not out in that time frame there is a issue-- she can loose weight but it should not be a lot --- if she is there is a issue- please weigh in grams and on a kitchen food scale

BabyBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
She is 2 and is adopted from a rescue, so I'm not sure if she has brumated before. It isn't winter here (Wisconsin, USA). Once I dig her out, should I get a hide for her to go under instead of in her tunnel she dug? It makes me nervous that she's buried under the dirt and I can't see her. I will weigh her when we take her out. Do I put her in her "bath" for hydration when we take her out? I will read through the article you shared as well. Thank you!

Attached is a photo of the "entrance" to her tunnel.

Attachments

• 16905528525284628728693020281303.jpg
    16905528525284628728693020281303.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is 2 and is adopted from a rescue, so I'm not sure if she has brumated before. It isn't winter here (Wisconsin, USA). Once I dig her out, should I get a hide for her to go under instead of in her tunnel she dug? It makes me nervous that she's buried under the dirt and I can't see her. I will weigh her when we take her out. Do I put her in her "bath" for hydration when we take her out? I will read through the article you shared as well. Thank you!

Attached is a photo of the "entrance" to her tunnel.
Yes dig her out and provide a hide --- I am in MN and its odd shes brumating now --- and yes if she drinks from a bath then offer the bath - but she must actually drink a lot of people think by placing them in the bath they get hydration they actually haft to drink - you can always drop water or spray her head and see if she will lick - what kind of UVB are you using ? Brand and bulb please

Latest posts