• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brown Small Worm Thing Found

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,

When I was feeding my baby bearded dragon today, I noticed a small brown worm thing (idk how to describe it) in my cricket box. I recently got a new batch of crickets (yesterday), and used the same egg cartons from my LAST batch..

Is this a parasite or something else?

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,

When I was feeding my baby bearded dragon today, I noticed a small brown worm thing (idk how to describe it) in my cricket box. I recently got a new batch of crickets (yesterday), and used the same egg cartons from my LAST batch..

Is this a parasite or something else?
There were also like 2 dead crickets near it.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 11.08.01 PM.png

Does it look like this?
If so, it's a dermestid beetle larvae. Some cricket breeders will put them in a box of crickets to eat the dead ones so that the box doesn't get nasty. They're safe for beardies to eat, and if you put them inside the cricket enclosure they'll help clean up by eating the deceased crickets and shed exoskeletons. Dermestids are often used by museums to remove flesh from bones. They're pretty interesting animals.

If it isn't a dermestid larvae, it may be a parasite.

landon ✰

Hatchling Dragon
View attachment 25108
Does it look like this?
If so, it's a dermestid beetle larvae. Some cricket breeders will put them in a box of crickets to eat the dead ones so that the box doesn't get nasty. They're safe for beardies to eat, and if you put them inside the cricket enclosure they'll help clean up by eating the deceased crickets and shed exoskeletons. Dermestids are often used by museums to remove flesh from bones. They're pretty interesting animals.

If it isn't a dermestid larvae, it may be a parasite.
No, not what I saw.

It was like a skinny tiny brownish worm.

Latest posts