• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding question, Need help

Ray_Viper

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello, Im new in Breeding Bearded dragon, I have my pair for almost 3 yrs now,
IMG_0479.JPG

I trying to breed them for the 1st time, I sure im ready to care for all the young, I already brumate them for 4wks at 69 f to 72F, They are already out from brumation, and it been a wks nw, i place them together, I didnt see any sign of them wanting to mate, just the female keep swaying. what else should i do, Both the dragon are eating well.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are you 100% certain you have a male and a female? And Did you force them to brumate? You may have woke them up to early. Most allow them to go down and come up on their own accord this gives the best results from a Brumation. Now the reason i ask on sexes is because if you didnt witness head bobbing and blackbearding from your male it is quite possible he isnt a male. There should have been some type of territorial display.

Ray_Viper

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Im sure i got male n female, Coz the male did bobbing his head some time n his tail is thinner, got 2 bulge near his ass, where as female tail is thicker. Being living tropical country, i force them to brumate, put them both in warm water to excreted all their waste before brumating , I never disturbed them, until the fourth wks when i think they have enuff brumate, or do i do it wrongly..I did read an article, but cant remember where, one wks wit the female one wks w'out, continuous till it show sign that the female gravid,. Does that work too?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i suggest not forcing them into or out of brumation. if they do not go down on their own they dont need it and if they dont come out after 4 weeks that means they want to stay down longer. Is your male approximately the same size or bigger than your female? Is he healthy? Some males just arent cut out for breeding.

Ray_Viper

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
maybe mistakes is forcing them out of brumation, Both of my beardie are the same size.. Both 3yrs old. should be weight almost the same. and my male beard is not turning darker, I got smaller beardie that it beard is darker, i try putting the 3rds beardie in the cage, but the male chasing him n biting the smaller beardie.. ofcoz i remove the smaller after seeing it. Should i wait till it beard turn darker..

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And i know why you made them brumate but just so you know for future reference it is not required for breeding. Many breeders used to bleieve it was but it is not. The only reason brumating is useful is because of the hormone spike they go through after waking up.

Ray_Viper

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Advices taken, Maybe Im just not fit to be beardie breeder, Just tot i try, sometimes keeping only doesnt have the satisfaction..My as well i try breeding them. From there maybe if it does work, I dont see why not I will be buying more morph on those beardie, as it will get more interesting to see those difference one each beardie..

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Im not a big fan of the week in week out week in again way of breeding. I prefer a few hours a day as it is less stressful on both animals and it keeps the male interested. You can try it that way and see if it peaks your males interest.

Latest posts