• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bottom trouble

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello. We are new to the forum and to ownimg a beardie. My daughter's beardie, Gronk, is having a bottom problem we've not seen before. He doesn't seem to want to eat and hasn't pooped. Is this an indication of constipation or a bigger problem? Either way, please share recommendations on what we should do. This little guy has stolen our hearts and I just want him to be ok!
20201006_213306.jpg

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
The femoral pores looks very clogged up to me, not sure about the rear hole tho? And im not sure why this occurs... but all I can suggest is keep bathing him as much as possible to clean it out? what substrate are you using? Maybe @Sadie can help

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. We are new to the forum and to ownimg a beardie. My daughter's beardie, Gronk, is having a bottom problem we've not seen before. He doesn't seem to want to eat and hasn't pooped. Is this an indication of constipation or a bigger problem? Either way, please share recommendations on what we should do. This little guy has stolen our hearts and I just want him to be ok!View attachment 23907
How old is the dragon and what have you been feeding? Insects and size please- post a pic of the insects being fed next to the dragon - it looks like possible impaction but not sure at this point-- if its impaction only feed soft foods for now --- get some baby food sweet potato unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes or baby food squash -- and feed 2 times per day to make him go --- you can keep up w/ the warm baths as well ---make sure your basking temps are 105-110 for a baby -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you can also soak in some betadine solution making it weak like a tea solution -- that will help w/ the femoral pores --- get the crusty stuff soft and loose and you can use a soft baby tooth brush to lightly brush the pores -- make sure you have something course in the tank for him to be rubbing on when hes climbing around his tank that will keep the pores open and from clogging --

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the dragon and what have you been feeding? Insects and size please- post a pic of the insects being fed next to the dragon - it looks like possible impaction but not sure at this point-- if its impaction only feed soft foods for now --- get some baby food sweet potato unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes or baby food squash -- and feed 2 times per day to make him go --- you can keep up w/ the warm baths as well ---make sure your basking temps are 105-110 for a baby -- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- you can also soak in some betadine solution making it weak like a tea solution -- that will help w/ the femoral pores --- get the crusty stuff soft and loose and you can use a soft baby tooth brush to lightly brush the pores -- make sure you have something course in the tank for him to be rubbing on when hes climbing around his tank that will keep the pores open and from clogging --
Thank you for such a thorough response! He is 3 years old and primarily eats super worms. We try giving him peas and green beans and cabbage but he doesn't take them very often. He does like and eat Kale and an occasional piece of strawberry. I can't photograph his worms right now because I am at work but can have my daughter send a pic in a bit.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for such a thorough response! He is 3 years old and primarily eats super worms. We try giving him peas and green beans and cabbage but he doesn't take them very often. He does like and eat Kale and an occasional piece of strawberry. I can't photograph his worms right now because I am at work but can have my daughter send a pic in a bit.
How many super worms are you feeding ? I would lay off of them and feed what I posted - its possible hes eaten too many and the shell or chitlin they call it has plugged him up--- please look at this website for nutrition and ignore the kale its a good staple feeder ---
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Please after he passes his poo get him over on a different staple feeder like dubia roaches crickets or silk worms - I can post websites for these if you need them --- also make sure hes hydrated --- that will help him pass his poo as well -- does he drink in the bath - if he does do not let him drink w/ the betadine in the water -- you can drop water on his nose to see if he will lick use a eye dropper of syringe feed - if you feed by syringe make sure you go slowly let him drink what you put in his mouth go in from the side of his mouth and go slowly same w/ the feeding of the soft foods - you can see if he will lick the soft foods off a spoon -- you do not want him aspirating the water -- when was the last time he pooped?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please go over your UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps and what are they? Temps should be 95-110 for a adult dragon --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go over your UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Basking temps and what are they? Temps should be 95-110 for a adult dragon --- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Ok. I will check this when I get home from work today.

He is eating anywhere from 4- 20 worms each day. His previous owner told us that was his staple. I will check out the site you sent also and start switching his diet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I will check this when I get home from work today.

He is eating anywhere from 4- 20 worms each day. His previous owner told us that was his staple. I will check out the site you sent also and start switching his diet.
20 super worms is way to many super worms are meant for a treat like 3 every couple of days --- the two most important things in that tank are the basking temps and the UVB --- those two things control the over all health of your dragon -- and good UVB coils are no good

Knight98

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah I agree with Sadie, that’s too many superworms a day, try dubia roaches there hassle free, don’t cause impaction and don’t have a nasty smell. Are you uk based?

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
These are the UVB and basking bulbs we use

Attachments

• 16021118647618578521539841372926.jpg
    16021118647618578521539841372926.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20201007-180407_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-180407_Chrome.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 3

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Change out the UVB as soon as possible to a ReptiSun tube light. The compact bulbs are more or less a scam and shouldn't be produced. Make sure you keep both lights in reflector fixtures.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes please get rid of the coil UVB ---- you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- you can order from here if you cant find it in your pet stores where you live
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb
these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex
let me know when you get it I will help you place it for the tank - the T 5 has two options
the basking bulb is good if its keeping basking temps to 95-110 --- have you fed him any of the foods I posted? Keep feeding him till he poops --- you can add a little olive oil to the baby food and make sure hes hydrated as well and make sure your using a digital probe thermometer

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Change out the UVB as soon as possible to a ReptiSun tube light. The compact bulbs are more or less a scam and shouldn't be produced. Make sure you keep both lights in reflector fixtures.
Yes please get rid of the coil UVB ---- you need a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- you can order from here if you cant find it in your pet stores where you live
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb
these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex
let me know when you get it I will help you place it for the tank - the T 5 has two options
the basking bulb is good if its keeping basking temps to 95-110 --- have you fed him any of the foods I posted? Keep feeding him till he poops --- you can add a little olive oil to the baby food and make sure hes hydrated as well and make sure your using a digital probe thermometer
Thank you Thank you!!!! You have taught me so much!! We have been doing the sugar bath, warm baths, and feeding baby food prunes and sweet potatoes since you first suggested it... finally, today .. HUGE POOP!!! I've ordered the bulb and will let you know when they are here! Thank you, again. You are truly a lifesaver!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Thank you!!!! You have taught me so much!! We have been doing the sugar bath, warm baths, and feeding baby food prunes and sweet potatoes since you first suggested it... finally, today .. HUGE POOP!!! I've ordered the bulb and will let you know when they are here! Thank you, again. You are truly a lifesaver!
Good glad to hear he pooped -- get him over on dubia roaches or silk worms or both - but limit those super worms - when the UVB comes please let me know I will help you place it where it needs to go --

GronkFam

Bearded Dragon Egg
Good glad to hear he pooped -- get him over on dubia roaches or silk worms or both - but limit those super worms - when the UVB comes please let me know I will help you place it where it needs to go --
Today is my daughter's birthday so his poo was the best bday present ever

Latest posts