• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vettobe14

Bearded Dragon Egg
So my bearded dragon I got yesterday and he-(I'm pretty sure) keeps blinking slowly and it's not both eyes and I was wondering if something is wrong or not...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So my bearded dragon I got yesterday and he-(I'm pretty sure) keeps blinking slowly and it's not both eyes and I was wondering if something is wrong or not...
Is he closing his eyes when he basks? That is normal as long as your not using a coil UVB -- they cause eye issues -- and your using a bright white basking bulb --- NO off white yellowish bulb -- and NO colored bulbs they cause all kinds of eye issues and disrupt the sleep

Vettobe14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is he closing his eyes when he basks? That is normal as long as your not using a coil UVB -- they cause eye issues -- and your using a bright white basking bulb --- NO off white yellowish bulb -- and NO colored bulbs they cause all kinds of eye issues and disrupt the sleep
Yes, he is underneath his basking bulb on a piece of driftwood from Petsmart and it's almost not like he is closing his eyes but slowly "winking" underneath it. I have a UVA and a UVB bulb then I have a temporary red bulb for at night till I have some rocks to hold the heat during the night time.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, he is underneath his basking bulb on a piece of driftwood from Petsmart and it's almost not like he is closing his eyes but slowly "winking" underneath it. I have a UVA and a UVB bulb then I have a temporary red bulb for at night till I have some rocks to hold the heat during the night time.
No red bulbs ---- dragons like it cool and dark --- if the tank is falling below 65 at nite then get a CHE ceramic heat emitter---- temps at nite need to be 65-75 ---- the UVB/UVA is a what ? coil or tube ? No coils they cause eye issues along w/ many other health problems MBD and neurological issues just for starters

Vettobe14

Bearded Dragon Egg
I do not have a coil bulb for either but I am going to get a strip bulb that combines both so I do not need multiple bulbs. The terrarium stays in the low 70's at night and warms up to the low 100's during the day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do not have a coil bulb for either but I am going to get a strip bulb that combines both so I do not need multiple bulbs. The terrarium stays in the low 70's at night and warms up to the low 100's during the day.
Strip bulbs do not produce both basking and UVB- if you go with a bulb that does both that is a mvb- there are two good ones power sun and mega ray- DO NOT get a solar glo or any cheap China ones- those require certain wattage and distances- I can help w/ that---- your going to want to invest in a long tube uvb as well - some times they do not put out enough UVB so a extra one in the tank is recommended- if you go w/ the long tube fixture you need a basking bulb as well your dragons overall health and behavior relys on those bulbs--- you need to take basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no stick ons they are inaccurate--

Vettobe14

Bearded Dragon Egg
Strip bulbs do not produce both basking and UVB- if you go with a bulb that does both that is a mvb- there are two good ones power sun and mega ray- DO NOT get a solar glo or any cheap China ones- those require certain wattage and distances- I can help w/ that---- your going to want to invest in a long tube uvb as well - some times they do not put out enough UVB so a extra one in the tank is recommended- if you go w/ the long tube fixture you need a basking bulb as well your dragons overall health and behavior relys on those bulbs--- you need to take basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- no stick ons they are inaccurate--
I did re-look at the UVA and that is a coil bulb and so does that mean that I should get a new bulb, also Thank you for the information on strip bulbs and any other thing I greatly appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did re-look at the UVA and that is a coil bulb and so does that mean that I should get a new bulb, also Thank you for the information on strip bulbs and any other thing I greatly appreciate it.
Yes get rid of it--- you need a long tube fixture - I am going to post what you need for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture this is out of stock
w/ this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb which is also out of stock --- look on Amazon is your best bet I checked another website and they too are out of stock -- the fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb that is perfect for smaller tanks like 20 gallon -- but you need to get the coil replaced as soon as you can --- please let me know if you find one and get one -- I will help you place it in the tank -- they have a certain distance and placement

Vettobe14

Bearded Dragon Egg
I will be looking for the UVA strip as soon as possible I have a 40-gallon tank currently.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will be looking for the UVA strip as soon as possible I have a 40-gallon tank currently.
Ok let me know when you get it I will help you get placed -- distance and placement is key here

Latest posts