• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blind Beardie?

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My boyfriend recently received a Beardie named Lucky from some family friends. They weren't taking very good care of her and finally gave her up to my boyfriend who can. He's had her for about a week now and she has barely eaten anything. When fed worms, she seems to be interested but misses multiple times and seems to give up after. Lucky is about 2-3 years old and seems to have a bad right eye that gets oozy and gunky. Any ideas??

Also she doesn't seem interested in pellet food like Fluker's Buffet Blend. She has been drinking but not eating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My boyfriend recently received a Beardie named Lucky from some family friends. They weren't taking very good care of her and finally gave her up to my boyfriend who can. He's had her for about a week now and she has barely eaten anything. When fed worms, she seems to be interested but misses multiple times and seems to give up after. Lucky is about 2-3 years old and seems to have a bad right eye that gets oozy and gunky. Any ideas??

Also she doesn't seem interested in pellet food like Fluker's Buffet Blend. She has been drinking but not eating.
Please go over the lighting in the tank UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? Where in the tank? Basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons ---- we need to rule out the lighting first for the cause of the gunky eye-- What kind of substrate ? And its just the one eye--- you can use some regular saline solution NO contact lens stuff to wash the eye out first then get some raw unpasteurized honey mix w/ a little warm water for consistency and dab a q tip in and put on the eye -- if its infected the honey will kill the infection its a good antibacterial --

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It would be helpful to get her to a vet and have her tested for parasites and ADV. The vet can also help clear up the infection and get her on some antibiotics if necessary. You might want to stop offering the Fluker's pellets, they have a bit of a history with making dragons sick and it has very unhealthy ingredients.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please do not feed pellets she needs fresh salads every day here is website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
She needs a staple insect feeder like crickets dubia roaches or silk worms -- I recommend dubia roaches they are easy to care for they dont stink or chrip and last longer and are a better nutrition wise --- I can give you websites to order from -- we need to figure out if shes actually not able to see out of the eye -- its good shes drinking thats going to help w/ the appetite -- she is going thru relocation stress so thats going to effect the eating -- is she eating anything at all ?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Here is a basic husbandry guide. Your dragon's cage should live up to the requirements.

Try hand feeding her the worms because if she is blind, then she might be missing simply because she can't see the worm!

Even after you try these troubleshoots, i'd definitely recommend going to see a vet and just getting a basic check-up and making sure your bearded dragon has no serious health issues due the lack of care. (dehydration, mbd, sprained limbs, etc.) It will put your mind at ease and you'll be able to help out more since you'll know exactly what is the issue.

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She has a 75W basking bulb and a 30 gallon tank. She currently has one of those felt mats on the bottom of her tank. She had no thermometer when we got her so we've been checking the temps with one of those gun looking thermometers. Her original owners said that it's been like that for a while and they were putting human eyedrops in her eye but we haven't done that because I would believe something for humans would not be for reptiles. The eye also looks kind of deformed, it's hard to get the camera to focus on that. Her iris is very small and pushed towards the back of her eye socket. I was also informed that their little boy, who they got her for, would just let her fall off things, like if he was holding her and she walked and lost balance, she'd fall to the floor. They also said she's always had troubles going after worms ever since they got her ( I have no clue where/who they got her from). In her new location, she has eaten maybe 3 meal worms and 1 horn worm. I don't believe she's brumating because she is active inside and outside her tank. I will definitely try that saline and unpasteurized honey/water mix. He doesn't want to take her to the vet just yet, mostly because the only truly good exotic vet is about 2-3 hours away, I took my rabbit to the bad one and she came back afraid, we were told she couldn't nurse her kits and that she'd have to stay at the vet for a week (which all was a lie, we took her home that day and she did fine and was more comfortable than being at that strange place) Will definitely be needing to get worms or roaches for her, the ones sent with her are mostly dead and fresh salads for her. My boyfriend wants to "give her the best life she can have, even if she has problems" as he said.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has a 75W basking bulb and a 30 gallon tank. She currently has one of those felt mats on the bottom of her tank. She had no thermometer when we got her so we've been checking the temps with one of those gun looking thermometers. Her original owners said that it's been like that for a while and they were putting human eyedrops in her eye but we haven't done that because I would believe something for humans would not be for reptiles. The eye also looks kind of deformed, it's hard to get the camera to focus on that. Her iris is very small and pushed towards the back of her eye socket. I was also informed that their little boy, who they got her for, would just let her fall off things, like if he was holding her and she walked and lost balance, she'd fall to the floor. They also said she's always had troubles going after worms ever since they got her ( I have no clue where/who they got her from). In her new location, she has eaten maybe 3 meal worms and 1 horn worm. I don't believe she's brumating because she is active inside and outside her tank. I will definitely try that saline and unpasteurized honey/water mix. He doesn't want to take her to the vet just yet, mostly because the only truly good exotic vet is about 2-3 hours away, I took my rabbit to the bad one and she came back afraid, we were told she couldn't nurse her kits and that she'd have to stay at the vet for a week (which all was a lie, we took her home that day and she did fine and was more comfortable than being at that strange place) Will definitely be needing to get worms or roaches for her, the ones sent with her are mostly dead and fresh salads for her. My boyfriend wants to "give her the best life she can have, even if she has problems" as he said.
W/ the discription of the eye it is best to go w/ the vet visit www.arav.org
Please get her some dubia roaches and no more dead bugs please- you can get some BSFL for her they are a good staple feeder and can be fed in a bowl on top of her salads do not dust them - I will post more later

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Certainly, we'll get her an appointment ASAP. Is there a certain website you use for Dubai roaches? I've only ever fed my Beardie superworms due to crickets dying easily.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Certainly, we'll get her an appointment ASAP. Is there a certain website you use for Dubai roaches? I've only ever fed my Beardie superworms due to crickets dying easily.
I also want you to get her some silk worms if shes having trouble chasing they are slow and a great staple feeder as well-- I would feed her like 3 of them if they are large 2-3 times per week --- she should mainly be eating veggies
www.dubiaroaches.com order superworms from here they come w/ food and in containers you can keep the roaches come in containers you can keep but I would get a 10 gallon aquarium and feed dubia food along w/ carrots for hydration or squash dont feed the dragon carrots too to much Vit A -- they also have good horn worms do not get large amount they grow really fast
www.reptilianarts.com cupped silkworms come w/ food clean containers out daily
www.coastalsilkworms.com east coast and west coast
www.mulberryfarms.com spendy on shipping but you can get butter worms here the horn worms are good too they are a hydrating worm but grow really fast
Please tell me what your using for a UVB this is EXTREMELY important --- NO coils NO colored bulbs and you need a digital probe thermometer as well --- they are cheap you can get them at Petco or Petsmart for $8 ---

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Give her the highest calcium feeders you have access to-hornworms are a great choice. I'll give you the link to where I buy roaches when I can find it... Not sure what happened yet but suddenly all their products are out of stock

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
you can find dubias at local reptile shops, google them I bet there is one closer to you than you think.

Are they banned where you live?

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg

If she's drinking and finds the water bowl she must see something. My 6 yr old female is very picky I literally feed her baby food out of any eye dropper every other day. She refused veggies for the longest. Now will eat some out of her dish that I chop in a machine but she wants me to feed her out of the eye dropper. She will come and sit on a rock and wait for me every day. Try that for now till you get her used to her new surroundings. At least you will know what she is consuming and how much. I just start to drop it on the end of my girls nose and she starts licking. Lol

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As for the dubai roaches, they are legal here. I believe our local reptile store has had a limited supply of almost every feeder so I'll be sure to check back after Thanksgiving. I never got a good look at her tank but from what my boyfriend is telling me, she only has a basking bulb that was sent with her and he bought an infrared night bulb (without consulting me first...) The shops are closed now and will be closed tomorrow so we'll need to get a UVB lamp Friday. After observing her, I believe she just might have an issue with depth perception. She can see the horn worms out f her left eye (the good eye) but doesn't notice them much with her right (the bad eye).

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As for the dubai roaches, they are legal here. I believe our local reptile store has had a limited supply of almost every feeder so I'll be sure to check back after Thanksgiving. I never got a good look at her tank but from what my boyfriend is telling me, she only has a basking bulb that was sent with her and he bought an infrared night bulb (without consulting me first...) The shops are closed now and will be closed tomorrow so we'll need to get a UVB lamp Friday. After observing her, I believe she just might have an issue with depth perception. She can see the horn worms out f her left eye (the good eye) but doesn't notice them much with her right (the bad eye).
Please no colored bulbs--- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage --- if you need heat in the tank that is your tank is falling below 65 at nite then get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they produce heat NO light --please order insects on line they are a lot cheaper -- also you need to upgrade your tank to a 75-120 gallon tank that 30 gallon tank for a full size dragon is too small -- if you need help please ask I can offer some places to look-- I also posted websites for worm/ insects

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please no colored bulbs--- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage --- if you need heat in the tank that is your tank is falling below 65 at nite then get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they produce heat NO light --please order insects on line they are a lot cheaper -- also you need to upgrade your tank to a 75-120 gallon tank that 30 gallon tank for a full size dragon is too small -- if you need help please ask I can offer some places to look-- I also posted websites for worm/ insects
Yes thank you, as you can tell, the people he received Lucky from didn't know how to really take care of her. I'll be sure to get everything she needs due to my boyfriend's inability to ask before buying things. The pet stores really make it seem like their products are good for beginner Beardie owners like the infrared bulb. I'll be sure to send those links to him for feeders. She'll get to a vet real soon for that eye as well.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get your lighting fixed your dragon will not eat w/ out correct basking temps of 95-110 and correct UVB --- if you need help please ask -- NO COILS for a UVB

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Her basking temp is around 95-110 it's just the UVB she's missing. And the ceramic heater for night. It is currently getting into the 30's at night so the ceramic heater would be nice for winter. I'm currently ordering those feeders from the websites so she'll be able to have the nutrients she is receiving fresh salads and the horn worms we have currently. As stated the shops are closed for the next 48 hours but as soon as they open back up, we'll be able to fix this Beardie's lighting. Thank you again for the help.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Her basking temp is around 95-110 it's just the UVB she's missing. And the ceramic heater for night. It is currently getting into the 30's at night so the ceramic heater would be nice for winter. I'm currently ordering those feeders from the websites so she'll be able to have the nutrients she is receiving fresh salads and the horn worms we have currently. As stated the shops are closed for the next 48 hours but as soon as they open back up, we'll be able to fix this Beardie's lighting. Thank you again for the help.
Please look at the pet stores most do not carry what I recommend -- I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 it will go into the tank your upgrade to--- let me know if you need more help --- she needs this ASAP if you end up ordering the UVB let me know I can help w/ some UVB rays in the mean time --- is she showing any signs of MBD -- I am surprised if she is not

Mythical?

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please look at the pet stores most do not carry what I recommend -- I would get a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 it will go into the tank your upgrade to--- let me know if you need more help --- she needs this ASAP if you end up ordering the UVB let me know I can help w/ some UVB rays in the mean time --- is she showing any signs of MBD -- I am surprised if she is not
I believe it's mild MBD, she is very small. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe it's mild MBD, she is very small. Here are some pictures.
The sooner you get a good UVB your going to ward off of it getting worse -- how is she walking she still climbing ok? Please let me know what you get I need to help you place what you get the bulbs have different placement and distance requirements