• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black tail

lisakrause1

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think my BD tail is significantly blacker than when we got him a few months ago. He had a black tip but it is increasing up the tail. And, yes, I have correct lighting and heat.
009E7988-E24F-4CFD-BCE2-1E19B139D9F5.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think my BD tail is significantly blacker than when we got him a few months ago. He had a black tip but it is increasing up the tail. And, yes, I have correct lighting and heat.View attachment 27307
Get him into the vet --- if its been creeping up the tail its infected and it needs to be amputated- if you had posted back when this first started you could of started him w/ some raw unpasteurized honey and that would of killed the infection -- he now needs to go on antibiotics and more than likely have the tail removed to where there is no infection --- do this ASAP -- once the infection gets into the blood stream closer to the body it will go into the organs and kill him
www.arav.org find a reptile vet near you

lisakrause1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Get him into the vet --- if its been creeping up the tail its infected and it needs to be amputated- if you had posted back when this first started you could of started him w/ some raw unpasteurized honey and that would of killed the infection -- he now needs to go on antibiotics and more than likely have the tail removed to where there is no infection --- do this ASAP -- once the infection gets into the blood stream closer to the body it will go into the organs and kill him
www.arav.org find a reptile vet near you
I have an appointment for him tomorrow with an exotic pet vet.
You obviously have a lot of BD experience Sadie but your reply is a diagnosis and treatment (amputation) and to my knowledge, you are not a vet. Plus you were pretty harsh ("if you had posted back when this first started you could of started him w/ some raw unpasteurized honey and that would of killed the infection"). I've only had Rango 4 months. I am trying my best to provide the best and healthiest life for him. I absolutely adore this guy and obviously, had no idea that his tail being black (as it was when we got him) was anything other than his coloration. Only the increasing darkness had me concerned. It's great that you share your knowledge with this group (obsessively) but maybe you could be a little kinder and gentler to those of us that don't have all the answers and are trying our best.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have an appointment for him tomorrow with an exotic pet vet.
You obviously have a lot of BD experience Sadie but your reply is a diagnosis and treatment (amputation) and to my knowledge, you are not a vet. Plus you were pretty harsh ("if you had posted back when this first started you could of started him w/ some raw unpasteurized honey and that would of killed the infection"). I've only had Rango 4 months. I am trying my best to provide the best and healthiest life for him. I absolutely adore this guy and obviously, had no idea that his tail being black (as it was when we got him) was anything other than his coloration. Only the increasing darkness had me concerned. It's great that you share your knowledge with this group (obsessively) but maybe you could be a little kinder and gentler to those of us that don't have all the answers and are trying our best.
Sorry didn't mean to come off so harsh -- it's good you got an appt so quick- hope all goes well at the vet--- please keep us posted-

lisakrause1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Turns out our little guy is as healthy as can be and we’re “doing a great job with him”. The vet had two great “tests” for any future concerns. 1) pinch the end of his tail for sensation and reaction (Rango gave a great shake of his tsil) and 2) look at the underside of the tail (which on Rango was normal color). Both indicators of a healthy tail. Obviously we were thrilled that everything checked out perfectly. The vet even said that her own Beardies have tails exactly the same color as Rangos.

Latest posts