• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black spot on left leg

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie has a black spot on his left front legs, and it seems to be getting a little worse, was wondering what caused it and how to treat it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My beardie has a black spot on his left front legs, and it seems to be getting a little worse, was wondering what caused it and how to treat it. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Can you put a picture up? Also if you could tell us a bit about your set up that would be helpful. Lights, temps, food, how old is your beardie, has anything changed recently, is your beardie housed with another beardie? We would be able to help you more with your question if we had a little bit of background information.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Can you put a picture up? Also if you could tell us a bit about your set up that would be helpful. Lights, temps, food, how old is your beardie, has anything changed recently, is your beardie housed with another beardie? We would be able to help you more with your question if we had a little bit of background information.

Thank you!

Attachments

• received_1009193589198690.jpeg
    received_1009193589198690.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 1,005

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
He's housed in a 40 gallon front doors tank,lighting is good, Temps are in the 80s to 100s, plenty of space, no other beardie, had him.since April, diet is good, baths often.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He's housed in a 40 gallon front doors tank,lighting is good, Temps are in the 80s to 100s, plenty of space, no other beardie, had him.since April, diet is good, baths often.

After reading your post and seeing your conditions look good and looking at the black spot over and over and over again to me it looks like it might be a fungal infection but honestly your best bet is to make an appointment with the herp vet. Maybe someone else will have more experience with this.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there anything that he can be rubbing it on? As males will often surf the glass and move around things alot...

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Hello, this is Michaels girlfriend. Stubbs lives with me while Michael is in another state. Since I see him on a daily basis I thought I could add a bit more detail. Around the time we got stubbs I noticed 3 scales on his arm that to me, someone who is new to bearded dragons, looked like retained scales. I looked up what to do and gave him a bath and rubbed the scales with a q tip. Didn't do a thing. So I let it go and hoped next shed would take care of it. It didnt.

In the past few weeks it became dark like it is now. Before then it was pale like when he's getting ready to shed. That's why I thought that's what it was. Could it be retained scales? What about an insect bite that became infected? When he gets crickets I feed them outside of his tank but it could have been from the petstore before we got him. What about a bite from his siblings? He is missing several toes and there's damage to his tail from that. All healed before we got him. Incase it is infected I gave him a bath a couple days ago and applied a bit of betadine. Hasn't changed.

It doesn't seem to bother him and he eats like a pig. Bsfl is his staple at the moment, I do feed them in is tank but they're gone in a blink of an eye. He has a t5ho 10.0 for uvb and a halogen bulb for heat. The usual decor, hammock, branch, half log, bowls. I could tell you more about his enclosure if needed still but he had something going on since we've had him so I don't think it's anything related to his home.

Is there anything I can put on it until he can get to a vet? More betadine? Honey? Neosporin without pain relief? Would those things hurt?

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
More pics

Attachments

• received_1009190959198953.jpeg
    received_1009190959198953.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 910
  • received_1009191012532281.jpeg
    received_1009191012532281.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 741

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It could be old shed,,,using a tooth brush while in the bath can help if it's old stuck shed...but with the new pic you posted it looks like an old injury and or scale coloring... not sure that it's an active spot though...if you put neosporin do it once lights are out so not to burn under the lights.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I still think I would make a vet visit unless your annual one is close. Then I would wait and just ask at the annual visit. To me it looks like it could be an old injury or old shed. Have you recently changed bulbs? If so then that could be the cause of the color change. It sounds like you are taking great care of Stubbs.

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Girlfriend again. From a distance it does sort of look like it could just be his coloring and to be honest that's all I thought it was at first after it got darker, he does have dark spots on his back. But if you zoom in on the pics those scales and the ones surrounding them look off. Almost wrinkled. I guess I'm just worried that it could cause a problem down the road if those scales aren't able to grow as they normally should. I don't have any neosporin without pain relief at the moment so I put some all natural raw honey on it.

Here is a pic from last month, it's not focued on his arm but you can see he was shedding the part in question.

Attachments

• received_1009896539128395.jpeg
    received_1009896539128395.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 768

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I've never heard of using honey. Where did you hear that? Is that good to use? Just to know for future for my baby beardie.

I did notice in the first picture on his scales on his back that he does have black spots. Could it be his coloring? Only real way to know for sure is vet visit. When is your annual vet visit?

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Raw unpasteurized honey has very good health benefits. Look up manuka honey. I've read very good things about it and also watched an exotic vet on TV use it on a prolapse until the swelling went down to put it back in. We've had Stubbs for 3 months now and he hasn't been to the vet yet. My boyfriend is in the process on moving and once he is moved and settled in he was going to get stubbs in for a check up.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Raw unpasteurized honey has very good health benefits. Look up manuka honey. I've read very good things about it and also watched an exotic vet on TV use it on a prolapse until the swelling went down to put it back in. We've had Stubbs for 3 months now and he hasn't been to the vet yet. My boyfriend is in the process on moving and once he is moved and settled in he was going to get stubbs in for a check up.

Thank you! I will look that up. Can I get that kind locally or do I have to order it? I would just like to have it on hand for the just in case moment.

I can totally understand that. I would definitely get him in to herp vet as soon as you can especially since he was from pet store and has been bit. For no other reason than piece of mind! Just remember when you do go to take a fecal sample, remember it can't be older than 24 hours or it won't give a proper reading.

Again, thank you for the help. I'm sorry I wasn't much help for you [emoji20] I do hope you get Stubbs sorted out. Please keep us posted. I would like to know what that black spot is and how he is doing.

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
I believe you can get it from places like gnc or other health food stores. I've also heard of people getting it from walmart. I'm just using raw honey I got from someone in the country. They have bees and sell the honey on the side of the road.

You're welcome and thank you.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Manuka honey can be bought at health stores. I know Whole Foods has it. Honey is good for prolaps and it's supposed to be good for wounds in humans.

I would get some 100% pure aloe and rub it on the spot when the lights go out or put it in the bath when you give a bath and that should help if it is retained shed. You can buy a big jug of aloe at the drug store, usually where the laxatives are or you can just get it from an actual aloe plant.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I agree, it looks like damaged scales, and given your description (turning black after being lighter) I would guess from a fungal infection. Id say stop the baths until you can get it to a vet to get it diagnosed. In the meantime, you can buy antifungal creams from the pharmacy that may help treat or contain the damaged area.

Latest posts