• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black marking or stress

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello
I’m very new here, and also very new to the world of bearded dragons, so learning lots as we go. Never spent so much time reading forums and info on them.

I just want to ask if I should think anything of the black beard or are they just his markings please? We have had him just over a month now, he’s settled in well.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9389.jpeg
    IMG_9389.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello
I’m very new here, and also very new to the world of bearded dragons, so learning lots as we go. Never spent so much time reading forums and info on them.

I just want to ask if I should think anything of the black beard or are they just his markings please? We have had him just over a month now, he’s settled in well.

Thank you
Hi Kerrie
The gray beard could be mood or shed coming on --- you will know when he is sporting a black beard- its very black -- info on the internet can be conflicting -- please ask questions on this forum if in doubt about what you find on the internet --- make sure your surface basking temps are correct for age - most dragons over 6 months of age like temps around 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - UVB's NO coils please -- they are a health hazard -- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb NO off white No yellowish No colored or Daytime bulbs - the UVB should be placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- if you need help w/ anything please ask

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Kerrie
The gray beard could be mood or shed coming on --- you will know when he is sporting a black beard- its very black -- info on the internet can be conflicting -- please ask questions on this forum if in doubt about what you find on the internet --- make sure your surface basking temps are correct for age - most dragons over 6 months of age like temps around 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - UVB's NO coils please -- they are a health hazard -- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb NO off white No yellowish No colored or Daytime bulbs - the UVB should be placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- if you need help w/ anything please ask
Hello,
Thank you so much for reply, you are absolutely right with reading and hearing conflicting information.
The grey beard is a permanent feature, has been since the day we got him, I’ve seen it go black black all over once.
I pretty sure my temps and lighting are good, I sometimes wonder if not eating enough, he’s approx 4 months now, loves his veg, has approx 5 large locusts and 4 crickets.
He’s shed each body
IMG_9380.png
part in different stages so far.
Someone has said the beard could just be his colouring but I’m not convinced??

Attachments

• IMG_9386.jpeg
    IMG_9386.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just found this from the first day we got him and he actually doesn’t have it half as bad here so now I’m more worried

Attachments

• IMG_9395.png
    IMG_9395.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
Thank you so much for reply, you are absolutely right with reading and hearing conflicting information.
The grey beard is a permanent feature, has been since the day we got him, I’ve seen it go black black all over once.
I pretty sure my temps and lighting are good, I sometimes wonder if not eating enough, he’s approx 4 months now, loves his veg, has approx 5 large locusts and 4 crickets.
He’s shed each body View attachment 35399part in different stages so far.
Someone has said the beard could just be his colouring but I’m not convinced??
It could be the coloring- make sure his insects are no bigger than the space between his eyes- too big will cause impaction

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Oh no, now I’m even more worried. I will get smaller locusts tomorrow. I would say they are slightly bigger but he chews them side on. How can I know for sure if it’s colouring or something upsetting him?
It could be the coloring- make sure his insects are no bigger than the space between his eyes- too big will cause impaction

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh no, now I’m even more worried. I will get smaller locusts tomorrow. I would say they are slightly bigger but he chews them side on. How can I know for sure if it’s colouring or something upsetting him?
Beards change color w/ mood shed mating distress and pain-- it's a process of elimination to determine the reason-- try not to stress out

leticia carvalho

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello

Thank you
hi! is he very young, right? i dont see any signs of stress or black beard… when they are babies, the beard usually have this color!

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi! is he very young, right? i dont see any signs of stress or black beard… when they are babies, the beard usually have this color!
Hello, thank you for getting in touch. He’s approx 4 1/2 months old now. I have added stones, upped the heat, added more climbing things, but it hasn’t made much difference so far. I have a larger tank coming by the weekend.
It’s just the dark line that concerns me, other than that he’s absolutely fine

leticia carvalho

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, thank you for getting in touch. He’s approx 4 1/2 months old now. I have added stones, upped the heat, added more climbing things, but it hasn’t made much difference so far. I have a larger tank coming by the weekend.
It’s just the dark line that concerns me, other than that he’s absolutely fine
hii! i think that u can be totally unconcerned about it. mine is 2 years old, and she looked like that too. i brought her when she was 6 months. now she is very very very orange!!! the first pic was when she was a baby! and the second one i took last week. look how the color changes!

Attachments

• 6B996676-4312-4F6C-82A9-B29BEACE725E.jpeg
    6B996676-4312-4F6C-82A9-B29BEACE725E.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 8
  • E82D9927-8225-424B-A457-F2073E5526A4.jpeg
    E82D9927-8225-424B-A457-F2073E5526A4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
hii! i think that u can be totally unconcerned about it. mine is 2 years old, and she looked like that too. i brought her when she was 6 months. now she is very very very orange!!! the first pic was when she was a baby! and the second one i took last week. look how the color changes!
Oh wow!!! That’s amazing! Love the colour of her beard.
Thank you for the reassurance

kerrie green

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, just to give you all a little update, I upped the heat, gave him a giant bamboo root to climb on, added stones to bask, and I believe the beard is fading back to how it used to be. Could be a coincidence, could be because of the changes.
Thank you all

Attachments

• IMG_9482.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all, just to give you all a little update, I upped the heat, gave him a giant bamboo root to climb on, added stones to bask, and I believe the beard is fading back to how it used to be. Could be a coincidence, could be because of the changes.
Thank you all
He looks good

Latest posts