• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Fungus, don't know what to do...

winterinsomnia

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all, this is my first post on the forums. I really need some advice.

I have a wonderful Blood Red Beardie named Maggie. I got her last March from a pet store (have previously owned beardies as well). She is an adult, about 4 or 5.

When we got her, she was in her shedding period. We didn't notice until a few weeks later that her left claw - the thumb and next "finger" were turning black.

We took her to the vet, who prescribed antifungal meds and an antibiotic, along with a cream to put on (and suggested we take her back to the pet store, but we fell in love with her). The vet told us that the fingers would probably fall off - they took an XRay and the fungus had eaten away her bone in those two fingers. So after a few weeks of meds, they eventually fell off and Maggie seemed back to her old self!

All seemed fine. Except that spot started to get swollen again. Then red. Then black. Back to the vet we went - she prescribed two antifungal meds to give at the same time and recommended amputation.

The problem is that we can't afford the surgery. And even with surgery, it's likely that the fungus will come back.

So now the fungus has started to eat away at her other fingers on that hand, and is seeming to slowly but surely work its way up her arm.

We have pain meds to give her as well - she often will flick that arm, even at night. I feel so bad for her. She's now down to eating once every three days or so and won't eat crickets, only meal worms and sometimes the shell of snap peas. She comes alive when we take her out and put her on our shoulders (her favorite place), but otherwise looks miserable. She's lost a bit of her ability to grip as well and seems weaker in general. Which could be the meds or the fungus.

So our options from here seem to be to let this fungus slowly eat her alive, try a different route of medication, or put her to sleep. I'm tearing up even thinking about the last option... And the first option...

Anyone experienced this and have any advice for us? I'm attaching a photo of Maggie's foot - the white/grayish coloring is from the cream they've given us. You'll notice she's missing two fingers.

Our exotic pet vet is great. But even a vet visit to her is more than we can afford to spend (we've now been 4 or 5 times). We care about her so much and any advice you have would be really appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20150204_190831.jpg
    IMG_20150204_190831.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 494

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Find a herp rescue in your area. If yiu can't afford the surgery that will save her life then you can't afford her. Trying not to sound rude but you should have scheduled the finger surgery before it spread because now she might lose her entire leg if it has spread. I'm sorry you are going through this but this is part of any pet. If you can't surrender to a herp rescue then you either have to get the surgery or put her down because it will spread more aggressively once it has a leg.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She needs an amputation to prevent the fungus from spreading. Ask the vet what cost it is and go onto Bearded Dragon Obsession on Facebook. Ask for Brittany Rene Wallace, Cameo Hall, or Jennifer Bond. They are the admins and they might be able to help you out. :(

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
These types of fungal infections are always systemic, and regardless of removing the toes, it has already spread throughout the body. Because reptile immune function will encapsulate areas like this, the toes (probably the entire foot) should be removed for any treatment to really be effective though.

What anti-fungal drugs were you given for treatment? Its normal to prescribe Itraconazole, but each vet is a little different in their treatment. There are newer anti fungals that are being used for treating CANV that seem very promising. It may be that your vet knows about them already but maybe not.

Also, what are the temperatures in your enclosure (basking/cool area)?

Latest posts