• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Beardie :(

Vickie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My bearded dragon is like a blackish color and is curled up in the corner of his aquarium/terrarium. He was totally fine earlier, ate two crickets and was a bright yellow. Is something wrong with him? Please help.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are the lights off in the tank? When you say curled up and black, can you grab a pic and post. Sometimes that is hard to visualize. Could be nothing other than him going to sleep.
Remind me..
How old is he?
How long have you had him?

Vickie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think he was just sleeping. :) He seems to be fine and very active today. We bought him in October; however, we were not told when he was born. So to us he's only a few months. He's growing much much faster than our other one, which we bought the same day. In fact, he has doubled in size compared to our other one. I'll try to get some pics up later. Thanks
Vickie

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OK...yeah would love to see pics.!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Vickie,

Just a quick Q. You said you bought 2 on the same day. Are they housed together?
He's growing much much faster than our other one, which we bought the same day. In fact, he has doubled in size compared to our other one.
Since you also said one is growing faster and bigger than the other it made me think of this. Here is some info on what can/may happen.

Housing 2 beardies together doesnt always work out, more often than not one will dominate the other preventing the submissive one of propper UV, food, nutrients, heat etc.... Causing one to grow and flourish and the other not.
And most often it ends badly by one becomming agressive all of a sudden maming or even killing the other.
Beardies are solitary creatures and prefer being housed alone.
If they are housed together I really would strongly suggest you seperate them.

Anyways if your answer is yes there are temp options on seperating them that we can go over till you get a second setup going.

Vickie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We do not house our beardies together. One beardie is in my step-daughter's room (The mini one) and the other beardie is in my step-son's room (The much larger one). The little one refuses to eat big crickets, so we have to buy small crickets for her. The Larger one eats med/lg crickets, and although fed only two or three a day always seems to want more. He's crazy, and growing sooo fast. We're getting him a bigger tank next month. The little one is very active, and loves to do what seems like push ups with her skinny little legs. Thanks.

Vickie

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
to add to that, you should be feeding them as many crix as they can eat in 10 minutes and no bigger than the width of their eyes. 3 a day isn't enough for a beardie. Some can eat up to 100 a day no problem. Just my advice and I'm sure somebody else on here will chime in with other information as well :)