• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Beard

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yesterday I went out shopping for 3 or 4 hours. When I got back I went to say hello to Bullet, and noticed that his beard was pitch black. Is this normal?
I took him out of the cage and soaked him for about 30 minutes, thereafter he went out into the garden in direct sunlight for about an hour. What fun he had, eating bits of grass, chasing and eating ants, and then as it was a blisteringly hot day here the flying ants decided to come out of their underground shelters. Bullet went into super hunt mode and must have devoured about 40 of these flying ants.
By the time I put him back into his cage the black beard was completely gone.

Here are some pics of Bullet swimming.

DSC01758.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Black beards are normal. Just signifies he is mad about something or he wants to breed. If it lasts for days at a time it can signify he is sick.

Be very careful about what you let him eat outside. That can be a very dangerous venture. Somebody could have put out pesticides and one of those flies that he ate could have been infected with it. Personally I would never let him eat anything that is flying around and as for eating grasses and stuff in your yard ONLY if you are sure no pesticides are being used anywhere near your house.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Li on the pesticide issue. Can never be too careful....but know that others have let their dragons hunt in their yards without any problems. Just need to be cautious. Another issue besides pesticide is "what" they eat. For example, if he were to get ahold of a lightning bug or firefly (it's what we call them over here), it can kill them in 10 seconds or less.

Sounds like he did have a great time!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank Goodness I have not seen a Firefly here in over 30 years now.
Both Bullet and the babies go crazy for Flying Ants, also known as White Ants here. Bullet must have eaten about 100 over the weekend and the babies also ate a lot of them.

Incidentally, these self same ants are rated very high in protein and nutritional value, as learn't in the 70's when I was on a survival course with the Defence Force here. ( Conscription in those years was mandatory ). If they are are good for human consumption, which we proved they are, will they be alright for the Beardies.

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Iv eaten a few flying ants myself !!! im still going strong hahahaha havnt given any to my beardie tho !?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
Thank Goodness I have not seen a Firefly here in over 30 years now.
Both Bullet and the babies go crazy for Flying Ants, also known as White Ants here. Bullet must have eaten about 100 over the weekend and the babies also ate a lot of them.

Incidentally, these self same ants are rated very high in protein and nutritional value, as learn't in the 70's when I was on a survival course with the Defence Force here. ( Conscription in those years was mandatory ). If they are are good for human consumption, which we proved they are, will they be alright for the Beardies.

I've read several instances of beardies eating flying ants and also of their nutritional value. So, unless there's a risk of pesticide, I don't see a problem with it myself.

sublyme

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
I agree with Li on the pesticide issue. Can never be too careful....but know that others have let their dragons hunt in their yards without any problems. Just need to be cautious. Another issue besides pesticide is "what" they eat. For example, if he were to get ahold of a lightning bug or firefly (it's what we call them over here), it can kill them in 10 seconds or less.

Do not ignore this. I have an Ex-friend who thought it was cool to give random insects to his beardie ( even though i told him to stop!), when one day he fed him a june bug. Not sure if it was pesticides or what, but it killed the poor dragon. After I had to bury this 2 1\2 year old beardie, dude could not understand why I punched him in the face..

Latest posts