• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black beard / falling over / wobbly walk

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
I just rescued a bearded dragon from a friend's father who wasn't taking care of him. (He hasn't had lights for idk how long & when I asked about it, he said "he's cold blooded & doesn't actually need those all the time" so I took Reptar home that night.

I did take him to the vet and he is now recovering from a stomach infection, (high white blood cell count) hookworms, being dehydrated, and had absolutely no food in his system.

It has been about 2 weeks & I no longer have to force feed him (he still only eats about 5 worms a day & won't touch veggies yet) he's had 3 of the 10 shots he needs, and overall he is doing WAY better than when I got him, he is bright orange again and moves and walks again BUT he keeps falling over. He will be laying on his log and his beard will turn black and then he just falls off of it on to his back. Same thing with the hammock. I understand he is still weak but should I be really concerned that he can't seem to stay up even when he is just laying flat?? I know they can't breathe on their back so it really scares me. And he still walks SUPER wobbly like he is going to fall over. I'm worried he has a neurological problem?

I take the log & hammock out when I leave but I like him to have something to get closer to the heat.

He has a 150w ceramic heat emitter, a 150w basking bulb, and a 150w UVB. basking area tends to stay between 95-100 while cooler area is between 85-90.

Someone please help!

Attachments

• 20190714_123553.jpg
    20190714_123553.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Poor kid!! He's been through a lot and has a lot of bad care to recover from, so it may just take some time. Did your vet say anything about the weakness, or did the other concerns overshadow that at the time? If so, can you contact the vet with your new questions?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
I will have to check on what kind the UVB is as I'm not sure, but it is compact so not good enough. It is inside of his tank as I know the mesh from covers can filter out the uvb.
I do dust his worms & veggies with calcium daily but I will need to get vitamins.
Thank you for replying!!

What kind of UVB is this 150w UVB????????? He needs calcium no UVB can cause neurological issues and this is my guess for the falling over ---- please go and get him if you dont have this type of UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this should be done ASAP w / no UVB he probalby has no calcium in him at all and I am surprised the vet did not give him a calcium shot ---- he should have his bugs dusted w/ calcium D3 and vitamins -- alternating between the 2 -- if you have any more questions please ask ---- you can also go to this forum and ask people there about more care for him they are very experienced and can also help but he really needs the UVB --- www.beardeddragon.org--
Also you want your cool side of tank around 80 during the day and not below 65 at nite --- I would take out anything high and get him a ramp of some sort to climb for his basking I know Petsmart sells things like this w/ a ramp type to a platform --get a infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes to get accurate basking temps since you are having to figure out the ramp thing they are the best and most accurate way of getting heat temps --- but please visit the other forum so they can give the medical advice thanks
kaylyn

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
The vet did not mention anything about the weakness but I honestly doubt they even got the chance to see him walk as he was not moving at all in the beginning. He does have another vet app in a couple weeks, and I plan to call them today with my questions, just wasnt sure if any beardie experts on here might have an idea!
Thank you for replying!!

Poor kid!! He's been through a lot and has a lot of bad care to recover from, so it may just take some time. Did your vet say anything about the weakness, or did the other concerns overshadow that at the time? If so, can you contact the vet with your new questions?

Carlyelaine

Hatchling Dragon
I will get the new uvb right after work and I will check out the website! Thank you!!

That is why hes still having issues --- please get the tube that I sent info on --- once it is replaced you will see a difference but I am afraid there is a lot of damage done there now and please go to the website I sent as well they can help you way better than I and god bless your heart for rescuing him / her
kaylyn

Latest posts