• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black beard and swimming motion?

Peaches

Bearded Dragon Egg
I lost my bearded dragon of 10years last month. The way she passed has me puzzled. She woke us in the middle of the night with her scratching in her tank. I found her upside down under her hide. I removed the hide from her tank. She righted herself but continued to 'swim' to the corner of the tank. She was bearding and it was black. Her mouth was gaping and she seemed as though she was struggling to breathe, and still swimming (out of water). We rushed her to the vet and they recommended putting her down. She was definitely not doing well at all. Earlier in the week she was also off. Wandering aimlessly and often swimming in mid air. Has any one ever encountered this? Any ideas?. I'm sure it was old age, maybe heart failure or something neurological. Thanks

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so very sorry for your loss. she may have been struggling to breathe. for any number of reasons. or she may have been in some kind of pain and the swimming motion helped relieve the pain. or it may have been neurological. or it may not have been any of these. sometimes - we just dont know.

Peaches

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm thinking so too. I'm just glad we have a 24 hour vet in the city and that we could help her asap and not have her suffer long.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear this! sounds neurological to me too

Latest posts