• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biting When Juvenile

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I was talking to my BD's previous owner yesterday (he is a work colleague) when i see him i try to pry information out of him about my BD's living conditions before i got her, he said she used to lunge for him and bite him when she was (he gestured) roughly 7 inches long, because she was "untamed" is this a possibility? she's got such a sweet nature i can't imagine her having ever bit anyone

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
they are animals, some animals bite. bearded dragons can bite and will if they feel the need. i dont know about the whole "untamed" thing as i did not know you could tame a lizard.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
neither did i :/ from what i gather he's quite a rough person, he used to pick her up by her tail! so perhaps she was trying to defend herself? he also claims if a bearded dragon bites you its teeth will break, thats why she stopped biting him after a while because she was damaging herself? i don't know

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
neither did i :/ from what i gather he's quite a rough person, he used to pick her up by her tail! so perhaps she was trying to defend herself? he also claims if a bearded dragon bites you its teeth will break, thats why she stopped biting him after a while because she was damaging herself? i don't know
if that were the case with their teeth that is a very poor tooth design. i think she is fine, unless this dudes skin was made of rocks. however this opinion is based on a logical thinking and not actual facts, i just know that most animals dont have such weak teeth.

he was rough with her, i am glad she bit him, you should never handle a dragon like that, it was hurting her is my guess so when he picked her up she expected harm and reacted by defending herself. you are not viewd as a thret and so your not getting bitten

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded Dragons will bite if they feel threatened, which is why we try to handle them carefully. Most will not bite if they are use to you taking care of them. It is hard to get one to bite you, you have to be pretty mean!

Jerin Zorb

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My Beardie will bite me when I just hand fed him live feeders. He thinks my hand is food.... :p

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
oh my!!!! so glad u rescued that poor beardie away from that mean guy!!!! in my opinion, beardie's will only puff up, open their mouth & bite if they feel threatened. sounds like ur poor beardie wuz just defending herself against that evil man who mistreated her terribly!!!

Beardie123

Juvenile Dragon
i dought that, i was at my friends house handleing his bearded dragon he is so calm in the house the second he went outside he puffed up and he showed me his teeth i was so terrified :( i felt weird because my little (Rosie, my 7 month old beardie) wouldnt hurt a fly and his gigantic (Stanley, his beardie 3 years old) almost bit my finger off! (ps.... lol she would hurt a fly i thing she would love the taste lol :D

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have come across a relatively neglected beardie that did bite. He was kind of an old grumpy lizard...

Latest posts