• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Place to Buy Online?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just wondering if there is a good place to buy supplies online with possible free shipping or something along the lines of that. It would be much easier to get something offline and probably cheaper. Also are the supplies from here reputable? Such as the thermometers and everything?

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I always use www.herpsupplies.com
But certain thing you are better off just getting at a DIY store or your local hardware store. Things like uvb holders and digital thermometers.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
SoleSky said:
Also are the supplies from here reputable? Such as the thermometers and everything?

We are affliated with Pet Mountain. All purchases go through this retailer. They have a good reputation. The small proceeds we receive are used for site maintance (server, hosting provider, etc.)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ooops, lol, sorry Renee. I forgot about that.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay I see. Where is the best/cheapest place to order crickets? Im also looking into roaches too.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a good back up to ghanns (my first choice but they have not had my size in a while) is, Southfloridarodents.com. I am not sure how much the shipping but they have great quality crickets and you get 1,000 for $22. Ordered some 2 weeks ago and still have not had one die yet.

Let us know if you need help setting up your feeders

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes I do. It's a shame that I can't raise a cricket haha. I need to buy those water pods. I bought a small critter cage for the crickets but what do you suggest? I spent all of my time focusing on the beardie when I should focus on his food as well.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
for a little baby you will need A LOT of crix. They eat 25-100 PER DAY. I did not believe this at first but they do. Here are the 3 ways I have kept them:

1) 18 gallon plastic bin ($5-10 at walmart)
cut a large hole in the top and hotglue screen over the hole
put 3-4 2.5 dozen cardboard egg crates (when ordering in bulk online you will get 2-3 of these with your crix)
put clear packing tape around the top 4 inches of the inside of the bin, the crix can not climb on the tape and can no jump more then 4 in up
feed whole collard green leafs daily (do not put potato, water crystals or water sponges in there)
2) same as above but 50 gallon bin and no lid, there are a few that get out this way but they don't last long outside the bin and I don't loose enough to notice a difference in the amount of crix.

3) This is my favorite method and have had the most success. This will house 2,000 3/4-full grown crix, maybe more I just have never put more in
20 gallon fish tank with screen lid. You can find the tank on craigslist for cheap and get a screen lid at petco/petsmart.
4-5 2.5 dozen cardboard egg crates (when ordering in bulk online you will get 2-3 of these with your crix)
feed whole collard green leafs daily

When feeding the whole collard leaf, the crix will eat the stem which has a high water content. With crickets it is very important to keep the humidity down, if you have a spike in humidity they will die, this is why I do not put potatoes or any other water source in with them. I do keep a humidity gauge in the cricket tank, but it is not needed. The crickets do best if the humidity is between 40-50%

Janie, the roach queen is the best to talk to about dubias and Brian feeds Hissers and loves them.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thank you for the help! I actually have a 20 gallon with a screen that I'm using for BG but am looking to upgrade soon so I could always put the crickets in there. The only thing is im a little tight on money right now so the tank has to be a good deal. After that tho it should be all good. My light just cracked that i bought for $35 and im ticked. Theres only a small crack in the side but its open. Hopefully it'll still be okay until I upgrade

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't think the light is still good. You can just replace it with a regular house hold bulb for now just make sure you lamp is rated for that high of a watt. One of my lamps is rated for 150w, another 75w and another only 60w. I recommend using regular house hold bulb b/c they are cheap to replace and have a reptiSun 10.0 for UVB. It works out much cheaper over time

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes, it started smoking when I plugged it in (it was one of those mercury vapor bulbs) so now I'm probably going to get some sort of lung infection haha. Anyway I replaced it with a 100W 120volt house bulb and am going to buy a UVB bulb as soon as the pet store opens. Also the guy said that he would send me a new bulb but I asked for a refund instead so hopefully thats what will happen. I've been leaving the screen off during the day so hopefully he can't escape. He can't really jump that high but he slept under his log lasty night like a cutie and everything will be fixed later in the day.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
to save money you can go to Walmart or Lowes and put up a florescent fixture for around $8 and just buy a UV bulb from the internet for about $20.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup... Walmart carries Lights Of America fixtures usually with a regular shop tube, for under $10, if you don't include tax.. Just carry in your uvb, and measure to make sure you got the right one..
Oh, remove the plastic lens when you replace that tube with the uvb.. don't need to replace it, since it will block the uvb rays.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts