• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behavior

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay so now with a new beardie in the family, space in my room was pretty tight lol. I had Charlie's tank right across from the babies' tank. Is it okay for them to see each other? They were all acting weird - Charlie would bob is head, Ace always hid in his bush underneath his rock, and Baby would wave her arm!! Because of all that, I would put stuff in front of my babies' tank so no one would see each other. This armwaving thing, what does it mean? I talked to this reptile guy and he said that because of the armwaving, Baby might be a boy? Taking that into consideration, I checked underneath 'her'. It may seem so that Baby is a boy! Oh crud. I hope I don't have all boys!

Also, I thought that putting stuff in front of the babies' tank was unfair. So, I rearranged my room so every beard is side by side! And yet no one could see each other. :p

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
And I forgot to add, I gave Charlie a bath last night. He kept wanting to drink water. I let him for a few seconds.. How long till I should be getting worried? He seemed to just shove his face in the water and drink.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
Okay so now with a new beardie in the family, space in my room was pretty tight lol. I had Charlie's tank right across from the babies' tank. Is it okay for them to see each other? They were all acting weird - Charlie would bob is head, Ace always hid in his bush underneath his rock, and Baby would wave her arm!! Because of all that, I would put stuff in front of my babies' tank so no one would see each other. This armwaving thing, what does it mean? I talked to this reptile guy and he said that because of the armwaving, Baby might be a boy? Taking that into consideration, I checked underneath 'her'. It may seem so that Baby is a boy! Oh crud. I hope I don't have all boys!

Also, I thought that putting stuff in front of the babies' tank was unfair. So, I rearranged my room so every beard is side by side! And yet no one could see each other. :p

No, the waving has zero to do with the sex of the dragon. It is a submissive behavior, probably because of being able to see the other dragon. They should not be able to see each other. It causes undue stress and will make relocation stress worse for the new beardie.

From my website:
Arm Waving - Contrary to the popular belief that this is a female behavior, this behavior is seen in all dragons, regardless of their sex. It is a sign of submission. Essentially, when a beardie waves, they are saying, "I am just a beardie and not worth the trouble. Please don't hurt me." I have even seen beardies 'wave' at humans. Sometimes, a new beardie owner will see their dragon wave at them. This usually passes fairly quickly as they become more comfortable in their new home, and with their human. Once they learn that you have no intention of hurting or eating them, they become quite sassy and you never see the 'wave' ever again! It has also been my experience that if you duplicate this behavior and wave at a beardie, they will interpret this as a sign of submission from you, and will become more comfortable and less stressed in a new environment. I use this trick with all new beardies to the house, and it works well to calm some of their stress (though they may look at you funny the first time you do it... I'm sure they are thinking "why is this huge creature submitting to me?!"). Sometimes, they'll even give you a head bob in response. They're very intelligent creatures!

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
And I forgot to add, I gave Charlie a bath last night. He kept wanting to drink water. I let him for a few seconds.. How long till I should be getting worried? He seemed to just shove his face in the water and drink.

Drinking is ok. :) As long as they're not unconscious, they know when to come back up for air. ;)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Madisyn-Alexis said:
beardie_love said:

Drinking is ok. :) As long as they're not unconscious, they know when to come back up for air. ;)

Good to hear! I was just worried that he won't know when to lift his head back up lol! Because he did want to drink for a long time - guess he was just thirsty. ;)

Latest posts