• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behavior Male v Female

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have stumbled another belief that is hotly debated amongst some beardie owners. I noticed Rex today got frustrated with his crickets avoiding his lunges. And he did his first head bob. Naturally I would assume he is male as head bob is more uncommon in females. But there is a camp that says behavior is a poor indicator of sex. Bear in mind rex is a baby, only 8 inches so no official gender. Would it be safe to say that if he does more head bobbing in the future he will most likely turn out male? Also one more question, can females turn their beard black?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can't answer much on behavior and genders. I haven't studied it to make any type of conclusions.

Yes, females can black beard.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are females out there that display more "male" behavior tandancies than males lol. I have a alpha female and she will head bob, black beard, and flare with the best of them. So no in all honesty that behavior is not a very good indicator of gender.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree, my female will black beard / or should probably say grey beard as hers has never turned black like in some pictures Ive seen. And she can flare with the best of them. She doesnt head bob however, neither does she arm wave.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My female black beards too so black bearding is not a good gender indication. She black beards everything, but does not puff it.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had a female who you would've sworn she was male. She was extremely aggressive towards any other lizard including male or female beardies. She black bearded just as much as my male, head bobbed more aggressively than my male and so forth and so on. I wouldn't bet money that just because you see him bobbing that he will turn out male.

Latest posts