• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bedbug harm?

cosmoni

Bearded Dragon Egg
Some new neighbors brought a bunch of bedbugs with them. Found one, dead, in Riot's food bowl today. I've put extra caution into making sure they dont get into her terrarium, but it appears I failed. I check Riot every night to see if she gets bites, but I see nothing. Now that I know the bugs can get into her tank somehow, I'm worried they might bite her. Can they get through her scales and hurt her?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some new neighbors brought a bunch of bedbugs with them. Found one, dead, in Riot's food bowl today. I've put extra caution into making sure they dont get into her terrarium, but it appears I failed. I check Riot every night to see if she gets bites, but I see nothing. Now that I know the bugs can get into her tank somehow, I'm worried they might bite her. Can they get through her scales and hurt her?
Checking on this

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Check for any holes in the tank and consider getting a very fine mesh screen to use temporarily. You can fill in any cracks or holes with aquarium safe silicon sealant.
Bed bugs are drawn to body heat and exposed skin-and your beardie doesn't have either. This lowers the chances of her being bitten.
If you do see a bite, wash it gently with water and apply a small amount of raw, unpasteurized honey to prevent infection.

Latest posts