• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardies in lake/sea water

AlexS9899

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi I’m a new beardie owner and I saw something on an Instagram page where they were letting their little guy swim in what looked to be lake water but was actually sea water so I had asked if that was safe, the person responded saying “why not he likes it and knows what’s best for himself” which does not seem like an accurate response lol so someone directed me here. I would love to be able to take my little girl on trip but I want to know if taking her to a lake or anything like that would do her any harm. To me it seems like it would make her Sick being in unconditioned water but I’m not 100% sure.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I wouldn't risk it. There could be oodles of bacteria, not to mention kids peeing in the water, dogs running around, people dumping trash and chemicals into the water, sharp rocks, bits of broken glass, choppy water, random drop offs, currents, fishing line, boaters, fish hooks and lures, people who are afraid of reptiles, cold water, small pebbles or shells that could be ingested, parasites, various kinds of poop, the tide, small children, and more. Your girl could also pee/poo in the water, which is gross for others. There also may be hungry marine life - I know a friend whose dog (miniature poodle) was eaten by a large freshwater fish (I think it was a pike). Yikes. Many of the dangers depend on where you are taking her to swim. To give a rather absurd example, if you dropped her into, say, Lake Baikal, there's a good chance she would freeze, drown, or be gobbled up by marine life. If you took her to Lake Michigan, she could be dragged under by the many currents or hidden pits. If you still want to take her swimming, use a small, secluded, or private beach, check all the warning signs for that beach, stay very close to shore, keep an eye on the waves, and be careful!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi I’m a new beardie owner and I saw something on an Instagram page where they were letting their little guy swim in what looked to be lake water but was actually sea water so I had asked if that was safe, the person responded saying “why not he likes it and knows what’s best for himself” which does not seem like an accurate response lol so someone directed me here. I would love to be able to take my little girl on trip but I want to know if taking her to a lake or anything like that would do her any harm. To me it seems like it would make her Sick being in unconditioned water but I’m not 100% sure.
Hello, I wouldn't risk it there could be bacteria, parasites, also salt water probably isn't good for them and the stress from swimming. Bearded dragons can't swim that well and should not be placed in large bodies of water.

AlexS9899

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I wouldn't risk it there could be bacteria, parasites, also salt water probably isn't good for them and the stress from swimming. Bearded dragons can't swim that well and should not be placed in large bodies of water.
Thank you that’s what I thought just wanted to be 100% sure

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
You should probably share all of this information with the guy from Instagram... I’m sure there are lots of people saying the same stuff tho but yeah I agree with everyone, don’t risk anything by taking ur gal to a beach or lake. It might not even be that fun for her (more stressful than anything). These guys are desert animals and are not really equipped to swim, so I’m assuming it would be a pretty scary situation for them to be in!

Latest posts