• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie Weight

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, so i have an adult female that is roughly 19". Im not sure of her age, i adopted her from a reptile rehab center here in cincinnati. She was someones pet that wasn't properly cared for. She was a twig when i got her, poor little thing... The guy there said he thins she is around 4-5 years or so. I have had her a little over a year now and i spoil her:) She LOVES roaches and supers!!! I was just looking back at pics from the week i got her and pics from now and noticed how much bigger she is!!!

I was just wondering what a good weight for an adult 19" female is.

Im posting a pic the week i got her and a picture of her a few weeks ago. I think she is at a healthy weight, but my dad thinks she looks "fat". Let me know what you think!

THANKS!!!

Attachments

• calypso a month or so ago.jpg
    calypso a month or so ago.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 41
  • calypso when i got her.jpg
    calypso when i got her.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 54

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i dont have a gram scale... my mom wont let me buy one cuz she thinks ill use it for "bad things" wow.. do you think she looks a healthy weight?

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i dont have a gram scale... my mom wont let me buy one cuz she thinks ill use it for "bad things" wow.. do you think she looks a healthy weight?
i can see where both you and your mom are on this!!You are obviously showing responsibility as caring for a beardie is not an easy, slack-off job!!
I think she will come around if you keep showing her responsibility and "good" choices!
one idea, if she agrees, is that you get one and only have access to it when she is around. you can weigh your guy and then give it back to her.
then, you get the info you need, and show her that you only want it for "good" reasons!
good luck!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is there a chart or something that shows healthy weight ranges for size? or is this just something that's learned from experience?
It's just how mine are I don't think there is a weight set in stone it can be much more some go 600 to 800 grams

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i can see where both you and your mom are on this!!You are obviously showing responsibility as caring for a beardie is not an easy, slack-off job!!
I think she will come around if you keep showing her responsibility and "good" choices!
one idea, if she agrees, is that you get one and only have access to it when she is around. you can weigh your guy and then give it back to her.
then, you get the info you need, and show her that you only want it for "good" reasons!
good luck!
haha yeah but im 16 so if she cant trust me with a little scale then thats messed up... I am obviously responsible being that i have 5 lizards ane i spoil all of them and i also buy EVERYTHING i need for them and have NEVER asked my parents for money to support them. If i know i cant support a lizard i wouldnt get one..

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
haha yeah but im 16 so if she cant trust me with a little scale then thats messed up... I am obviously responsible being that i have 5 lizards ane i spoil all of them and i also buy EVERYTHING i need for them and have NEVER asked my parents for money to support them. If i know i cant support a lizard i wouldnt get one..
LOL!! i completely understand!
however, as a mom of a teen, we still worry that you "kids" are making the right choices! (it's our right to worry!):D

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
forgot to say....keep up the great work!! I know alot of teens get grouped into being irresponsible just for being an age. You are obviously a very responsible person who thinks ahead and plans things through. I am sure your parents are very proud of you!

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
forgot to say....keep up the great work!! I know alot of teens get grouped into being irresponsible just for being an age. You are obviously a very responsible person who thinks ahead and plans things through. I am sure your parents are very proud of you!
THANKS!!!

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
as for scales ive got a set of cheap ones i bought they are food scales and have grams and Ozs on them - think they cost me around £3 in tesco does your mum not have some kitchen scales you can use. something like this and just take the bowl off
images
images
no we dont have anything that measures grams. i found a cheap gram scale that measures from .1g-1000g for 6 bucks on Ebay and i think i might try that.

joshjack90

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So I got a scale. She weighed in at almost 460 grams so she isn't fat according to bill:) thanks guys!! Also bill, I have a baby. Just under 6" and he weighed in at 10 grams. Is that healthy? He just started eating again after not eating for 2 weeks, now he will eat about 2 dozen 1/4" crickets a day:)

Latest posts