• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie stays in his hide

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The digging could be him trying to dig like he's in the wild. It's hard to explain this over the phone. Let me see what I can do. Lol

In the wild during brumation they will dig down to cover themselves. He could be doing that because it comes natural to him. Does that make any sense?

Sorry at night my brain starts to shut off. Lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The digging could be him trying to dig like he's in the wild. It's hard to explain this over the phone. Let me see what I can do. Lol

In the wild during brumation they will dig down to cover themselves. He could be doing that because it comes natural to him. Does that make any sense?

Sorry at night my brain starts to shut off. Lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah I understand lol will just have to see how he gets on

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yea, just keep us updated. Now you do know if he does eat he will have to bask so the food won't rot in his belly.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah I know that. he had a bowl movement the other day and he's not eaten since so if he does go sleep he will be ok

Okay good! Just wanted to double check! I'm glad you are on top of things!!

wayneg77

Hatchling Dragon
Are you sure he's a boy and not a girl? Sounds like it could bee eggs!
I really hope so lol
ac81252318863cf13f8967c271aa1b3d.jpg
c2b15171405bc176e4f125e50b22b9bf.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Brumation is going to be something that we can never fully understand. Every dragon is different and you as an owner can handle it how you want. One important thing is to make sure that they are healthy if you think it's brumation. Get a fecal done to rule out parasites. If they do go to sleep for months you don't want them to have parasites eating away at their belly's.

It's not necessary to turn off your lights, they are going do sleep either way. That's why you put hides in your tank so they can get away from the "sun". Dexter is going to be 4 in November and it wasn't until this year that she decided to try out sleeping in her hide for a few days a week. Her brother Luci is going to be 3 in November and he also went down this past winter for about a week or so. They will also brumate at random times of the year, not just necessarily when it's getting cold. This is what makes it so confusing because every dragon is different.

When they do decide to go to sleep, still offer a salad daily just in case they do wake up and are hungry or dehydrated. It's okay to bathe them once a week, if they don't wake up make sure you hold their head above water. A bath will help them poop and if they do wake up you can get them to drink some water. Through the mouth is the only way they get hydration. The whole absorbing water through their vent is a myth. We are constantly learning new things about them. Stuff comes out the back end not in the back end. They get hydration through drinking water, eating bugs and salads.

The other thing about brumation is that the signs mimic illnesses. Lethargy and not eating could be signs of parasites or other sicknesses. It could also mean you need to change your UVB lighting. This is all why it's important to have a fecal done and a wellness check, to rule other things out.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are such interesting creatures and brumation can be soo different for each dragon.. The big thing is keep tabs on your dragon while they are sleeping, you want to monitor their weight and watch for any signs that they are not doing well. If they are healthy they shouldn't loose any weight and if they do it shouldn't be more than a few grams, if they are gaining weight and not eating that could be signs of parasites so have them checked as an overload in parasites can keep them from waking up :( Take them out once a week and bathe them, encourage them to drink if they want, offer food. Make sure they bask if they eat anything. Shorten their lighting schedule to go along with the season.
My Izzy woke up this morning from a 4 day nap she was hungry, a good soak, basking time, weight check and some Momma cuddle time :) not sure what her plan is but since eating today another bath is in her future tomorrow then she can nap again if she wants..

Latest posts