• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie refusing to drink water

Lydiasmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon is refusing to drink water. I’ve tried everything. Water bowls, baths, dropping water on it’s nose and it just won’t drink. The only water it gets is from eating the few bites of veggies it chooses to nibble on during the day. The other day, my beardie was so dehydrated I had to force it to drink by sticking a pipette in its mouth. I just don’t know what to do, I don’t want to have to keep forcing it to drink water. But it looks so sad and lethargic everyday.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My dragon is refusing to drink water. I’ve tried everything. Water bowls, baths, dropping water on it’s nose and it just won’t drink. The only water it gets is from eating the few bites of veggies it chooses to nibble on during the day. The other day, my beardie was so dehydrated I had to force it to drink by sticking a pipette in its mouth. I just don’t know what to do, I don’t want to have to keep forcing it to drink water. But it looks so sad and lethargic everyday.
What are you using for a UVB and basking temps? No stick ons and NO coils --- what does his poops look like? They should be formed white and moist for urate no chalky looking then hes dehydrated

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Bearded dragon's get their hydration mainly through the foods they eat. Is he dehydrated?

Make sure you mist his greens with water too. You might want to make a vet visit if all else doesn't work.

Lydiasmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a UVB and basking temps? No stick ons and NO coils --- what does his poops look like? They should be formed white and moist for urate no chalky looking then hes dehydrated
I use the Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor UV Output Reptile Terrarium Bulb, which usually keeps their tank around 100 degrees. He poops daily but most of the time there’s little to no urate. However, there is usually liquid that comes out but the poop stayed well-formed.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I use the Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor UV Output Reptile Terrarium Bulb, which usually keeps their tank around 100 degrees. He poops daily but most of the time there’s little to no urate. However, there is usually liquid that comes out but the poop stayed well-formed.
Is that a UVA & UVB in one? Or linear bulb? Please no compact bulbs. You need a heat lamp and a linear bulb ultraviolet b light

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I believe the bulb you have is a MVB (mercury vapor bulb), which are only recommended for experienced keepers. They cannot be attached to thermostats, so temperature control is impossible. There is no way to prevent the bulb from over or under heating like you could using a normal basking bulb. If you are going to use a mercury vapor bulb, you will need to get a UVB reader (the least expensive ones are over $200), because MVBs can easily give off deadly amounts of UVB radiation.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes UVA and UVB
Please post a pic of the next poop -- he should have white urate w/ the extra water coming out -- depending on how old the dragon is he should have basking temps of 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult --- rinsing the salads or greens before serving will give moisture and gut loaded insects -- your dragon does not need baths more than once week -- if he is really young I would say not at all for now -- it will stress him out -- does he drink from the bath?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe the bulb you have is a MVB (mercury vapor bulb), which are only recommended for experienced keepers. They cannot be attached to thermostats, so temperature control is impossible. There is no way to prevent the bulb from over or under heating like you could using a normal basking bulb. If you are going to use a mercury vapor bulb, you will need to get a UVB reader (the least expensive ones are over $200), because MVBs can easily give off deadly amounts of UVB radiation.
And the fact they dont usually provide enough UVB--- depending on the brand of the bulb -- they are good for heating but lack UVB output -- it is often recommended to get another UVB just so you know they are getting enough UVB--- and I am not real experienced w/ MVB's so I often do not recommend them as well -- its easier to have the UVB separate and the basking bulb separate -- easier to control the heat

Latest posts