• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie questions- have an answer? HELP!

ReptileChick19

Bearded Dragon Egg
I soaked my female bearded dragons water dish- not sure what it's made from- in a bleach and water solution for a few days. I took it out earlier, rinsed it with just water, then scrubbed it with dawn dish soap and rinsed it again. My beardie doesn't drink from a water dish (reason I took it out) but my sister gave me her male beardie whom I just realized loves drinking from a dish and they're in together now. It smells really strong of bleach- I'm afraid of poisoning my beardies when I put water in it- how do I get rid of the smell or what should I do?

Should I cut the cord off and just use the heat rock itself? Cause it's kind of plain right now without a bit of "texture". How do I decide on a better substrate? I don't like the sand- I don't want to risk impaction and it's getting everywhere with the sliding front doors.

I sent my beardie over to my sisters for a week, two weeks ago (yes for breeding). After bringing her home, them being apart for a week- it was like torture for them. They were depressed, wouldn't eat. She brought her male over to stay for a few days... and has apparently decided to give him to me because of how they act apart. Is that normal for beardies? To get depressed and stop eating like that from being apart?

What insects can I give my beardies? Fruits? Veggies?
I give her Romaine hearts, orange, apple, pears- but she's a picky eater. She wont touch bearded dragon pellet food. I've only ever fed her crickets- but my sister got her started on meal worms which hers loves. Anything you'd recommend trying that's a bit easier on the wallet?

Picture of her when I first got her and her cage set up.
1.jpg

Picture of her lounging on her water dish after I first got everything set up in her cage.
2.jpg

She got really depressed after I brought her home from my sisters- she sat around with her head just plumped on her log for about a day.
3.jpg

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forums.

You may want to soak the dish for a few hours in plain water to help rinse the bleach off.

Up to you with the heat rock. You wouldnt have to worry about hiding the cord if it is gone though ;) From your cage pictures i dont think any substrate is going to stay in any better than sand. I would try tile or carpet. If you go with carpet. Make sure you have atleast two pieces the exact same size. that way you can put one in and clean and dry the other.

They are more than likely not eating because of the change. They are being subjected to things not of the norm. Some dragons dont acclimate fast or do well with change. I assure you it is not from being separated.

Food suggestions http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

ReptileChick19

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm not planning on keeping them together- especially after I read all of that.
I sent her over to my sisters because I wanted to breed her with him. He came back here because he wasn't eating and everything- seemed to think he was depressed without her.
I had planned on telling her I couldn't keep him- at least not without his cage coming along- which I highly doubt she'd give up.

Latest posts