• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not interested in food

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey there! My yearling dragon has stopped eating. I got him at 6 months old from jabberwocky reptiles at a show. Up until the last month, he's been great, eating roaches, crickets, super worms and wax worms along with collard green salad with calcium and multi vitamin supplements. He has a 10.0 high output uvb bulb and baths every day with healthy poops.

Now, he doesn't even look at his food. I bought some hornworms and he ate some but didn't seem too interested. I normally feed him in a storage container but I've also given him a dish in his enclosure hoping he'll eat without me looking, but to no avail.

How long should I wait? Could there be something wrong?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
how long has he been fasting? they go through cycles. This past weekend i fed both of mine their sunday supper of dubias and superworms, and, up to last night, neither one has touched their salads. Maybe today but havent been home in many many hours. so - like 3 days anyway. he may be a bit off. he probably doesnt need a bath daily. mine get baths every couple of weeks - unless they run through their poo. i do give them water from a dropper when ever they want it. sometimes it's only 5 cc, but the last time i watered Toviah it was closer to 15 !!! thirsty !!

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He's been eating a lot less for 3 weeks. Before he would eat every day or other day vigorously and now he doesn't even see his food. He ate some greens. He's not a big drinker but I mist him and drop water on his nose regularly, whether he drinks or not.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He still isn't interested in food and sleeps all day. Could he be slowing down for burmation? I'm worried He pooped a couple days ago and is still alert.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
What are your temps? How long have you had the same UVB light? Where is it? While his eating has slowed, how long has it been since he last ate?

Lastly, is he currently going through a shed?

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
He could be getting ready for brumation. He could just be going through a cycle where he isn't interested in food.

I have an adult who only really eats every couple of weeks. When she eats, she EATS. Otherwise, she'll pick at her food if she eats at all.

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Basking spot = 110f
Cool side = 78f
Warm side = 85f

He actually ate for the first time in over a week yesterday but not that much.

I have a high output t5 10.0 fluorescent uvb light stretched over the length of his 75 gallon aquarium and I bought it in November. His chin is shedding bit he hasn't shed anything but his face for months.

He went from eating a bunch every day to eating nothing. He sleeps a lot more and he actually lost 5 grams. Thank you for the advice guys.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Basking spot = 110f
Cool side = 78f
Warm side = 85f

He actually ate for the first time in over a week yesterday but not that much.

I have a high output t5 10.0 fluorescent uvb light stretched over the length of his 75 gallon aquarium and I bought it in November. His chin is shedding bit he hasn't shed anything but his face for months.

He went from eating a bunch every day to eating nothing. He sleeps a lot more and he actually lost 5 grams. Thank you for the advice guys.

75 gallons can be a big, tall tank. How far away is the UVB from his basking spot? And is it inside or outside the tank?

Latest posts